Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 10:41 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by soccerflyer View Post
I love your optimism, SLUFLYER which is no doubt rooted in your hometown loyalty. But, so much of your prediction will depend on the selection committee's decision to do right by SLU's resume and not downgrade them like so often happens with the A10's representatives. The A10 I believe has not been given a home game since what, 2002ish? There are only 48 teams qualifying this year which means even fewer host sites than usual. I do not think SLU will earn one of the Top 12 seeds and get the bye, but they could get a home game in the play-in round. I think you will find that SLU will win that play-in as long as it is a home game or a favorable match-up for them on the road. But if they get sent to like a Missouri or Arkansas or Texas A&M either in that first or second round, expect them to lose 4-1 or so and not fulfill your "Sweet16" prediction. Having been to many ACC and SEC games, I can say that I do not think St Louis is as formidable as their 11-1 record suggests.
I'd say it's fair blend of optimism and broad perspective of A LOT of teams I've seen play this year, both in person and at the benefit of ESPN+. Those games/teams include SEC and ACC as well.

I know A LOT of these kids on the SLU team, many since they were 9 or 10 years old. So yeah, I've got some loyalty and bias. But my eyes are not getting deceived by my heart.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, ALL games will be played in Cary, NC. So there won't be any home games for the NCAA to award anybody. I think SLU has an outside shot at a Top 12 bye if they were to post another dominating performance in today's A10 final. It's unlikely, but who knows. Their #8 RPI is really strong and might just be enough to get them in that consideration.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
soccerflyer (04-17-2021)