Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 11:32 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
The old Huggy Bear philosophy.

Huggy used to teach his teams to foul 40+ times a game because there's no way the refs will call more than 20 of them. There's a natural upper limit. rollo will now inform us that refs are superhuman and have no biases, so if Huggy's team fouled 40+ times the refs would call every one of them, so clearly they didn't.

rollo, watching the Baylor game, there were at least 5 different plays where I said out loud "I'm so glad the ref swallowed the whistle on that because there's just no reason to call a foul." A couple were loose balls where no one had possession or clear position. I'm 100% in favor of allowing far more contact, in particular under the basket. When the offensive player jumps into the defensive player I say swallow the whistle basically every time; that was your choice, you could have gone straight up and you chose to create contact. But when a guy is catching a rebound and someone rips your arm away you either call it, or, the next time down that guy is going to make sure he gets the rebound by clearing out space and hurting someone. That has to be kept under control.