Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-21-2021, 12:40 AM
1st Lieutenant

CJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud of
Player series, Part 2: Elijah Weaver

In case you missed Part 1, I’m posting a separate thread every few days, eventually hitting each player on the UD roster. The videos are probably more valuable than my words. Happy dog days of the offseason!

Elijah Weaver, 6-6, 205 pounds, age 22.7 (DOB 12-30-98), From Cocoa, Fla.
Oldsmar Christian (Tampa) as soph/junior, then near home at Rockledge HS as senior … #45 HS recruit (247 Composite)
Wore #11 for Dayton in 20-21 … Entering fourth year of CBB / second at UD
21.7 minutes pg … 5.4 ppg, 2.0 reb, 2.4 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.5 TOpg
42.9% FG … 36.1% 3PT … 72.0% FT … 46.8% of FGA were 3s

UD’s oldest player, Weaver spent two seasons at Southern Cal, averaging 20-22 mpg (sixth-man type minutes). He averaged roughly 6-2-2 there, shooting 42% FG, 34% 3PT, with just under half of his FGA coming from 3. Last season at UD, his numbers were eerily similar to that. So is that simply who he is? We sure hope not. Last year was really weird for Weaver. Remember, he was going to redshirt, then eligibility rules changed, then Chatman got hurt, and suddenly about 8 games in, Weaver not only started playing, but was getting 35 minutes a game. Then Chat came back and Weaver was back to the bench as a role player. Hard to get in a groove in a year like that (to say nothing of COVID impact). Even before Chat came back though, Weaver was really up-and-down.
So what will we get this year from a guy who had the same high school recruit ranking (45) as DaRon Holmes? It seems like the tools are there. He has the length to be a good defender. He had games where he shot the 3 really well. The USC video below shows a guy who can really get to the rim … (did he attack that much last year for UD? He does a few times in the Dayton highlight below, but that doesn’t stand out so much in my memory). Is he a true point guard? Combo guard? People certainly project him as our starting point guard, unless someone (Malachi Smith?) really, really surprises us. I just feel like there should be more answers than questions after three college seasons. Here’s hoping he’s about to answer a ton of questions.
VIDEO
Weaver-specific highlight, from USC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45yH09XWyQ
Dayton game highlight where he did well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQC3dJu0kx4

Last edited by CJ#4; 07-21-2021 at 12:52 AM..
22 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CJ#4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (07-21-2021), bp (07-21-2021), Bucketnight (07-21-2021), Casey (07-22-2021), Clear Prop (07-22-2021), CvilleFlyer (07-22-2021), FLYER5 (07-21-2021), fuz_forward (07-21-2021), Graphicsguy (07-21-2021), Jeff (07-24-2021), keats '91 (07-21-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-21-2021), MikeFlyer (07-21-2021), O Doyle Rules (07-27-2021), Ready Action (07-21-2021), Runnin' Rebel (07-21-2021), SC_Flyer (07-24-2021), steverino015 (07-21-2021), Swampy Meadows (07-21-2021), The Fly (07-21-2021), Wallage (07-21-2021), wes (07-21-2021)
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2021, 04:18 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
CJ, love these threads. And like that you chose Weaver as #2 guy to highlight.

The thing I noticed about Weaver is his footwork and shot preparation looked different at different parts of last season. The improvement seems to be getting his feet under him -his balance when catching and going up. Was this related to the changes of red shirting and then playing time? And was slump related to conditioning and/or small injuries? Hope so, because that is more controllable with a normal off season.

I love the guy's vision and team approach on offense. Different vibe than Scoochie and/or Crutcher. But more of a run offense, create for others, then reposition for spot up 3. Super critical to have the offense click and for the ball to not stick. But high hopes his game blends well with the young guys.
Mad Props to keats '91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Casey (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Weaver can improve last year. As mentioned, he took a back seat to Rodney whenever Chatman was healthy, which means Chatman beat him out for playing time.

He will be the elder statesman at the guard position, but he will have talented guards coming in and competing for playing time.

One suggestion for these threads is to compare each player to the other players in that same position. Granted the two freshman are a bit of unknowns since they are freshman.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
As mentioned, he took a back seat to Rodney whenever Chatman was healthy, which means Chatman beat him out for playing time.
I just don't see how this tells us anything. Of course he got beat out by a healthy Chatman. Rodney was the incumbent starting senior coming off a 29-2 season! Weaver was never going to start over Chatman. To hold that up as some sort of standard is unreasonable.

Personally I think Weaver is who he is and I'm fine with that. I expect point guard by committee this season. Any play from Weaver that goes above and beyond what we've come to expect (see Memphis NIT game) probably means we are doing very, very well. Especially if he is able to channel it with any sort of consistency.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Casey (07-22-2021), jack72 (07-22-2021), TA111 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I As mentioned, he took a back seat to Rodney whenever Chatman was healthy, which means Chatman beat him out for playing time.

I would guess that Chapman getting more playing time was due to his defense rather than his ability at the point Since Crutcher barely left the Floor
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 05:22 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I stand by my observations. The team lacked depth last year and Weaver's playing minutes dropped a lot. Weaver lacked consistency and Chatman was considered the better defender. Weaver is a lot taller than Chatman which should have given him edges in several areas. Crutcher could have gotten more breaks but did not. The decisions by the coaching staff

I hope Weaver is more consistent and plays better this year.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:56 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
The player in the highlights from USC was much more active in all facets of the game. I think that if he could show that same consistency as a driver to the basket, a facilitator and a spot up shooter he could really be a plus this coming season as a point guard! I am anxious to see if he is improved from last season. If so it would be a pleasant surprise.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Yesterday the press was able to attend practice and interview players.
Quote from Elijah:
“Over the last few months, I think I got smarter,” Weaver said. “The game is starting to slow down. Last year was my first year coming into this system. I didn’t really know what coach Grant wanted out of me, but now with a year under my belt, I think I know how he wants things. I know how to run the system, and the game is slowing down so I can see things and making better reads and stuff like that.””
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:46 AM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Coach may not show his hole card, re the guard situation, until we are faced with a tight game in the last 5 minutes. Then we will find out who he thinks can handle the system and the pressure.