UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
These guys do not look for Obi. Several times he’s wide open on a pick and roll or streaking down the court and no pass. He’s going have to start getting selfish
Posted via Mobile Device
He's fine just letting the game come to him. Those misgivings will be blatantly obvious in film sessions and they will correct themselves.
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
I noticed that, too. He’s the consummate team player, which is great, but when he does pass off, he never gets the ball back. It’s hurting his stats. He did have another nice assist under the basket in the second half and a couple of rebounds but no points. He’s going to have to be more assertive because he’s surrounded by guys more interested in shooting the rock than looking for the open man.

And his defense needs work.
Or it could be because they’ve been together for a short time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 12-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
And hey, they are Exhibitions!
Old 12-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,571 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I've watched a few of these NY exhibition games, and I agree that Obi is playing team ball like he did at UD, while the rest of the squad has NBA-itis. He also is not totally comfortable and not shooting well from the perimeter yet. I see why there was criticism of his lower body strength and defense now. Everyone in the NBA is big, talented and THICK. I do feel he has a quickness advantage on most of the NBA for his size and length though. And he can really shoot and pass along with some pretty good ball handling ability for his size. In my mind, the passing is part of what makes Obi special even at the NBA level. That will be more evident when he settles into the NBA game and gets some seasoning.

Last edited by Fudd; 12-19-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Early impressions of Knicks' Obi Toppin through his first NBA preseason action

Without the Las Vegas Summer League and extended preseason we’re used to, Knicks fans only get a few glimpses at Obi Toppin, New York’s eighth overall selection in this year’s draft, before he takes the court for his first official NBA contest.

Even under normal circumstances, information gleaned thus far would be sketchy at best, and with only three preseason games down and one to go, what we’re seeing out of the sky-scraping rookie may look very different in a short amount of time.

Still, here’s what little we’ve learned about Toppin thus far, with plenty to like and some things to keep watch over...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152730104.html
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Knicks’ Obi Toppin missed out on crucial learning experience

https://nypost.com/2020/12/22/knicks...ng-experience/

The Knicks regular season opens Wednesday night vs. Indiana.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-22-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 12:29 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
No summer league is brutal for the rookies this year
Old 12-23-2020, 07:27 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
I can only speak for DirecTV, as that is the service that I have, but the first week of NBA games is free. I think there will be three Knicks games available in addition to the NBA-TV game.
Mad Props to Flyer Al For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Obi begins his NBA career with 1:15 remaining in the 1st quarter vs. Indy and did not touch the ball.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 12-23-2020 at 07:44 PM..
Old 12-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Staff Writer

Obi opened the 2nd by missing a driving layup. He made a nice pass to Kevin Knox who missed the three. The Knicks bigs are racking up the PFs which could be good for #1. Obi missed a triple try and a long two.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Staff Writer

Obi's first NBA points come via a three pointer: https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...12150256840704

In 13 minutes in the half, he is 1-4 from the field, has 2 boards, 2 blocks and 1 assist and is +6. Knicks lead 66-61.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Captain

jabo911 has a spectacular aura aboutjabo911 has a spectacular aura about
Just hit a 29' 3
Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
I’m not sure if it’s the offense or obi just being somewhat uncomfortable still but he hangs out in the corner beyond the 3 point line during most possessions. Hopefully will see him get more aggressive towards the rim with and without the ball like we are used to seeing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Staff Writer

Obi checks in early in the 3rd when starting PF Julius Randle picks up his 4th PF. Obi rainbows a three:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...21092567502849

He then fakes a three but misses the layup. Obi airballs a three. He is 2-7 from the field; 2-4 from three.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 12-23-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 12-23-2020, 08:54 PM
Staff Writer

Obi got absolutely snuffed by Myles Turner. He ends the 3Q 2-10 with 6 pts, 3 rebs and 2 blocks
Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 PM
Staff Writer

The bank is open late for Obi thrice!

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...26390153826304
Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,079 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I love Obi but he’s taking way too many 3’s- this is not his game
Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The knicks are looking bad. The crowd noise is getting in their head!
Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Long Island FLYER is on a distinguished road
Rooted for the Knicks during the glory years of Red Holzman when I was a kid, but have pretty much stopped watching NBA basketball in recent years as I find it unwatchable. When Obi was drafted by NY, my old pals kidded me that I was gonna have to be a Knick fan again. I'm trying, but this is painful to watch and Obi looks lost. I wouldn't even know what to tell him to do to improve. Their offense is a mess. He's gone from an extremely complex, but structured offensive system to one that has no structure whatsoever.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Obi’s MO is he’s going to do what the coaches ask him to do to help the team. I know the Knicks need 3 pt shooting. That might be his role early this season and maybe all year. If that’s the case Obi will buy in and he will get better at it because he will work at it every day. Teams will have to respect him or he will find a way to make you pay.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-24-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 12:05 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Obi’s MO is he’s going to do what the coaches ask him to do to help the team. I know the Knicks need 3 pt shooting. That might be his role early this season and maybe all year. If that’s the case Obi will buy in and he will get better at it because he will work at it every day. Teams will have to respect him or he will find a way to make you pay.
I have no doubt you are correct as far as Obi doing what he's asked and getting good at it. However, I have to question if that's best for Obi's future, and the Knicks future to have him chucking up 3s. I don't follow the NBA much, but from what I gather, they aren't going anywhere this season and if they are going somewhere, it's going to take Obi doing what Obi does best and that's not chucking up 3s. And if they aren't going anywhere, again, it seems that Obi and Knicks future would be better served having him work among the trees more with the occasional 3 to keep things honest.

But, again, I'm not an NBA fan and maybe they feel that Obi can become a monster if he improves upon 3s and gets his confidence from there before they unleash the real Obi in the paint.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:48 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
We are seeing the same song throughout the NBA. Rosters have changed, training camps were rare, new offenses and defenses are being implemented. I watched the Mavs for 10 minutes and turned it off. Obi will be fine, but I worry about the Knicks.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Actually 3/7 is fine for threes. I'm glad he kept a straight face on the one that banked in.

He has to finish inside the arc. 0-5 won't work. His stat line is ok.

Luka Doncic was 0-6, 11-26 and got stuffed too much. The NBA play right now is ragged.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This is what players do when they get to the NBA.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Ok in his first game he was 3 of 7 from 3 - 43% Pretty darn good , but were he’s been a master % wise he was 0 for 5. Needs to get that part of his game going again !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=soccergod;644004]Ok in his first game he was 3 of 7 from 3 - 43% Pretty darn good , but were he’s been a master % wise he was 0 for 5. Needs to get that part of his game going again !
Posted via Mobile Device[

Obi has to adjust when inside the arc. He has never seen 10 quick hands at once like the NBA offers. Especially when they are bumping and grinding him at the same time they are poking at the ball. He will adjust over time.

But as was posted earlier, Obi is dutifully helping Coach T implement the offense and defense. It's no time to worry about stats.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Obi is listed as doubtful with a sore right calf for tomorrow's game.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:44 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Obi listed as doubtful tonight with calf strain !!! 😬
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Staff Writer

The Knicks game tonight will be on NBA TV so here’s hoping Obi is able to play.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Saw a tweet where Coach T said he is definitely out tonight, although he was feeling better today.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
NY Post:

"Knicks rookie Obi Toppin will be out at least 7-10 days"

https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/knicks...ast-7-10-days/
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-27-2020)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM
Staff Writer

Obi is listed as “probable “ for tonight’s game vs. the Nets on ESPN
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-13-2021), Glen Clark (01-13-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Obi listed in the box score with 1-minute of play last night. Anybody see the game? Hoping he didnt tweek anything and the 1-minute of play was nothing more than seeing how he felt at game speed, which seems unlikely.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't seem he tweeked anything.
https://nypost.com/2021/01/14/knicks..._share=twitter
Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Doesn't seem he tweeked anything.
https://nypost.com/2021/01/14/knicks..._share=twitter
Press Pros Magazine Hal McCoy now writing for the NY post?? HAHA

"And in the Knicks’ 116-109 win over the Nets on Wednesday, Thibodeau spotted the rookie for less than a minute in the second quarter to spell Julius Randle."

Umm, yeah, the Knicks lost.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:10 PM
Staff Writer

Obi had 2 rebounds in the 1st quarter vs the Cavs. He ended the fist half with 2 pts, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 8 minutes of action.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-15-2021 at 08:47 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (01-15-2021), Glen Clark (01-15-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-15-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Obi had 2 rebounds in the 1st quarter vs the Cavs. He ended the fist half with 2 pts, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 8 minutes of action.
Posted via Mobile Device
Obi getting a good education on what happens when you don't share the ball. It's Randle and Barrett and nobody else for the Knicks. Whoever gets the rebound gets to take the shot on the other end. All for one and all for one.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (01-16-2021), NYCFLYER (01-17-2021), SeasonTicketFan (01-16-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:47 PM
Staff Writer

Obi and the Knicks are playing the Celtics on NBA Tv right now. Obi has 2 points thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Staff Writer

Obi on the oop from Quickley:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKnicks...78936956284934
Posted via Mobile Device
CE80 (01-17-2021), fuz_forward (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:40 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Really dislike the way Coach T maroons Obi deep in the corner. Wish they would run more iso plays for him in and around the basket. They’re not utilizing his athleticism. Quickley is looking like the better of the two first-round picks given the Knicks’ offensive schemes, if you can call them that. All that said, the Knicks look like a top-tier team today..
Old 01-17-2021, 02:51 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We complain about college announcers, but these two act like they are announcing a tea party. Talk about boring.

Obi with a nice three. 7 pts in 8 minutes
Old 01-17-2021, 02:54 PM
Staff Writer

Obi buries a three:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKnicks...93774990405633
Posted via Mobile Device
fuz_forward (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Staff Writer

Immanuel Quickley just did Jalen’s move of slapping 5 with his imaginary teammates after making a T FT
Posted via Mobile Device
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:03 PM
Staff Writer

# 1 dunks: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKnicks...94689256407047

Obi Thrice: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKnicks...95589249212419
Posted via Mobile Device
FlyerBob (01-17-2021), fuz_forward (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 PM
Staff Writer

Obi sits with 12 points on 5-8 shooting, 2-4 from the land of plenty
Posted via Mobile Device
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021), Glen Clark (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:09 PM

The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I take credit for this. Maybe Coach T does know what he’s doing by way of Obi.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:32 PM
General

frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
So Obi scored 8 Knick points in a row.
Impressive!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:18 AM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I watched most of the game. Obi started slow and then started to ease into the game. He ended up having a very good game. It's weird watching them to ask him to try and isolate 1 on 1 from the perimeter with the dribble. He still looks very uncomfortable with that.

They need to pick and roll him more often. That is where he is amazing, even by NBA standards. He has great hands receiving any kind of pass as he cuts to the basket.

They are going to find out that he can shoot too. They will be surprised by his court awareness and passing. He is not going to be a big rebounder.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the slow start and being eased into the game may have had more to do with coming back from that calf injury. Local newspapers really did not go into much detail about the injury except to say it was a "calf injury" or a "strained calf muscle" but he was out for a while. Good for him to get some reps and points and get back into the flow of the offense.
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Staff Writer

The Knicks with a quick turnaround have a 12 noon MLK Day matinee with the Magic currently airing on NBA TV. He was 0-2 with a rebound and an assist in 7 minutes of burn in the 2nd quarter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-18-2021 at 12:54 PM..
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 01:51 PM
Staff Writer

Obi with a repeat from yesterday alley oop from Quickley:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProLOWD/s...40650231050241
Posted via Mobile Device
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill202 (01-19-2021), CvilleFlyer (01-18-2021), Flyer 86 (01-18-2021), FlyerBob (01-18-2021), fuz_forward (01-19-2021), rollo (01-18-2021), SLUFLYER (01-18-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of

Posted via Mobile Device
Would be even better with DAYTON on his shirt
Mad Props to Bill202 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-22-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 06:34 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
I could watch that fifty times. Poetry in motion!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Staff Writer

Knicks lead 40-31 after one quarter and Obi has yet to enter the game. Steph Curry was content to pass early on and then started drilling threes.

#1 is in to start the second.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-21-2021 at 10:46 PM..
Old 01-21-2021, 10:52 PM
Staff Writer

Obi is not playing out in the corner tonight—he’s setting up on the blocks—he is having difficulty taking it to the rack from there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Obi just got his first two points at the beginning of the fourth quarter with an emphatic dunk along the base line!
Old 01-22-2021, 12:23 AM
Colonel

CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Topping playing well! Just got his second slam on the baseline with about 7.5 minutes to play. Knicks lead 104-85 with 5:43 remaining. RJ Barrett has a career high 28 points!

Last edited by CvilleFlyer; 01-22-2021 at 12:27 AM..
Old 01-22-2021, 12:41 AM
Colonel

Knicks defeat the Warriors 119-104. They are on a three game winning streak and have evened their record at .500 for the season.

Obi's line in 12 minutes of play was 5pts, 4 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 blocks.
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 AM
General

Obi had a couple of nice dunks in the 4th. FF to 8:10

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (01-22-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-22-2021), San Diego Flyer (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:18 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Obi had a couple of nice dunks in the 4th. FF to 8:10

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The first dunk is at 8:15 and the second is at 8:37.
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:58 PM
Staff Writer

The Knicks in a back-to backer visit Sacramento tonight. Tipoff is at 10:00 EST and the NBA League Pass free week is still in effect.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:41 PM
Colonel

I bought the NBA League Pass for the New York Knicks games only and it was fairly reasonable at $17.99 per month. It is $28.99 for all the teams but watching Obi play for the Knicks was all that I was interested in seeing!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:53 PM
Staff Writer

Obi entered the game early in quarter two. He missed a triple but rebounded a miss by Quickley for the hoop and the harm. He then scored on a nice feed from Noel and followed up a miss for a slam.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-22-2021 at 10:56 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 10:55 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Obi crashing the basket and cleaning up a lot. This is the obi we’re used to seeing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2021, 10:57 PM
Staff Writer

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKnicks...26611805126657
Posted via Mobile Device
Radar (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Staff Writer

“Toppin hoppin”:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nyknicks/...27882360483842
Posted via Mobile Device
fuz_forward (01-25-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 01:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Swampy

Thanks for keeping us aware of the Obi Toppin show. Have never been a follower of the NBA going back for decades although have watch a few championship games IF the match up intrigues me such as the Cav's (Lebron) and the Warriors (Curry) games a few years ago.

Otherwise I'd miss some of Obi's dunks and box scores.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 10:48 AM
Staff Writer

Obi had 4 points and 3 rebounds last night. Fellow rookie ImmanueL Quickley went off for 31 points in the loss tp the Blazers.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:27 PM
Staff Writer

Obi checks out with 4 to go in the first half. He has 5 points, 2 rebounds and a steal in 8 minutes thus far.

Nice rim run: https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...25524797743105

Obi Thrice: https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...25894739554306
Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I consistently see Obi beating the defense down the floor calling for the rock and the selfish Knicks never oblige.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2021, 11:13 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
For all the feel-goodedness of Obi playing in his hometown, landing with the Knicks was bad news for his career.

Obi does not fit the Thibs mold. Thibs wants staunch defenders, veterans and grinders. He wants his core to play big minutes. His defense-first MO sacrifices offense for defensive productivity. The Knicks offensive rating is sixth worst in the league, and they play at the slowest pace in the league by a good margin.

None of the characteristics Thibs prefers are areas where Obi shines. He'll be best in the NBA with a more wide-open offense and one that plays with better pace. He's a worker, but I don't think he'll really showout playing in a scheme that wants to be Riley's Knicks.

At present, Obi's just Julius Randle's caddy, and with Randle being the centerpiece of the Knicks' roster, it's hard to see how this season gets much better for Obi.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:16 PM

It's tough on the new guys. Obi will be fine in time. The whole roster is not looking to get Obi looks. It's a long season and very likely injuries/illness will present opportunities. Obi just needs to stay ready to take advantage of them.

He is not going to take this League by storm. Especially on a team that is trying to carve out a niche for itself.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:57 PM
Staff Writer

Obi and the Knicks lost by 14 to the LA Clippers in a 12:00 noon matinee today. I only watched a few minutes, but caught Obi making 2 FTs which were his only points in 13 minutes of action.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2021, 05:23 PM

Obi and the Knicks lost by 14 to the LA Clippers in a 12:00 noon matinee today. I only watched a few minutes, but caught Obi making 2 FTs which were his only points in 13 minutes of action.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don’t think he’s averaging more than 11 or 12 minutes a game. Hard to have an impact in so few minutes. Short of an injury to Randle, that may be his ceiling this season.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Obi's early season injury has retarded his development regarding his playing time. While he was injured the Knicks were beginning to establish some sort of identity. Right now he is not in the rotation to speak of. I also think that that his teammates haven't looked for him as a scoring option at this point.
Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 PM
Staff Writer

A thread from the Knicks Fan TV account on Obi expressing frustration on not getting the ball:

https://twitter.com/KnicksFanTv/stat...67635230486534
Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 PM
Commander in Chief

A thread from the Knicks Fan TV account on Obi expressing frustration on not getting the ball:

https://twitter.com/KnicksFanTv/stat...67635230486534
I've been watching some Knicks games, and I see him expecting his teammates to look for him when he breaks to the basket, but that isn't what happens in the NBA normally. The Dayton Flyers were an amazing assist team when Obi was here. The NBA guys are all looking to shoot and put up gaudy numbers to keep their ten million dollar contracts going.

It's compounded by the fact that Obi was never a guy to go face-up on a drive from the perimeter. You need to be able to do that if you are going to be selfish in the NBA.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:11 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why a team would draft a guy at #8 and then not utilize his talents.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-01-2021), JimBo (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:30 AM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I don't know why a team would draft a guy at #8 and then not utilize his talents.
Think of the Knicks as the NBA's version of the Bengals.
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 07:32 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
The NY Post does not mention Obi in the article.

"The Knicks may soon have their own Big 3"

https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/the-kn...eir-own-big-3/
Old 02-01-2021, 08:41 PM
Staff Writer

Obi had an assist and 2 FTs in 2 minutes in the 1st quarter vs. the Bulls. Toppin finished off a nice alley oop from Austin Rivers:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1356418264658755589

And then sits.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 02-01-2021 at 09:15 PM..
Old 02-02-2021, 12:01 AM
Colonel

Obi gets 9 minutes in the Knicks 110-102 loss to the Chicago Bulls tonight! Why waste the 8th pick in the first round by not utilizing his talents. As Dayton fans we saw what Obi could do last season. Too bad the Knicks aren't giving him enough minutes for him to get into the flow of the game. How many times last season did he get off to a slow start only to take the game over in the second half!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:27 AM
General

Thanked 1,268 Times in 786 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
If robinson and Knox were gone Obi would get another 8 to 10 minutes of playing time.
This also seems to be settling into Nerlins Noel.

Obi cant create his own shot or have a back to the basket game. So this may not likely be the right fit for him. Get him in the open court or a team not overloaded with bigs might be a different story
Old 02-02-2021, 06:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing I can figure is that the Knicks either (a) are going to let Randle walk, at his salary with next year being an option year, or (b) they think they can turn Obi into a 3, with his shooting ability. In either case, his talent is definitely not getting a chance to shine and develop this season.

Then, there’s (c): Knicks’ management is simply inept.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
If robinson and Knox were gone Obi would get another 8 to 10 minutes of playing time.
This also seems to be settling into Nerlins Noel.

Obi cant create his own shot or have a back to the basket game. So this may not likely be the right fit for him. Get him in the open court or a team not overloaded with bigs might be a different story

Honestly I think this is a portion of the problem. We're all looking at him through dayton colored glasses. They don't pass or run sets for him, but at the same time if you're going to be what he was expected to be, he needs to generate more on his own as that's the way the nba is.
Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:20 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a link to all the 2021 NBA Rookie stats for comparison's sake:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1_rookies.html
Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 AM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Obi needs an offseason. Soon.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
I am a New Yorker and always a Knick fan. I watch all there games. So I believe he can be used differently but Thibs is a good coach. There is talk of playing him with Randle, but your right , OBI doesn’t seem to like contact and doesn’t get involved to get rebounds or put backs. he was pulled last nite in his second stint because he didn’t hit the glass. The positives he is high energy and good passer, but he needs to get his lunch pail out.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (02-03-2021), Flyer 86 (02-02-2021), jack72 (02-02-2021), upperarlingtonflyer (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Staff Writer

Twice during Obi’s 9 minutes on the floor last night the Knicks got mixed up on switches resulting in two Bulls’ dunks. The second time Obi seemed confused and Thibs yanked him shortly thereafter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Flyer 86 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed that he needs to take 3s until he improves. Knicks are short a solid 3 point shooter.

His agent should be advising to shoot some 3s and board more.

I believe starting Obi alongside Randle would be great for the team. And obi.
However I'm not Thibs!

Bring robinson in at 7 minute mark. Robby has been a stellar sub and around the basket cleanup guy to great effect. However he CANNOT SHOOT fts!!
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM
General

Mitchell rob is shooting FTs at 45 to 50%!!
Old 02-02-2021, 03:22 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Twice during Obi’s 9 minutes on the floor last night the Knicks got mixed up on switches resulting in two Bulls’ dunks. The second time Obi seemed confused and Thibs yanked him shortly thereafter.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've watched a few Knick games, not all, this year. Some of the other inside players look lost on D at times as well.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:04 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I've watched a few Knick games, not all, this year. Some of the other inside players look lost on D at times as well.
Tibbs might be a great defensive coach but from an offense perspective I believe Brian Gregory would outcoach him. He is terrible for Obi’s NBA career and I hope Obi’s traded ASAP
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Staff Writer

Obi's first shot attempt was a three: https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...42127357140994

He then pump-faked on a three and drained a jumper: https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...42455200669697

Later he missed a wide open three. 5 points in 6 minutes on 2-3 shooting.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Excerpted from NY sports on Obi’s “rough start”:

Then there is the curious case of Toppin, the No. 8 pick in November who came in with a starry résumé from Dayton. The 2020 college player of the year missed three weeks with a calf strain, but returned to the rotation on Jan. 13 as a lightly used backup.

The 22-year-old power forward has made little impact, with Randle occupying most of the minutes. Toppin looks a little lost running around, setting screens, getting open and not getting the ball.

Toppin hasn’t shown enough strength to create his own shot. He’s also shooting just 26 percent from 3-point range — which means his future as a stretch 4 is iffy.

He’s someone you just don’t know yet,” one NBA coach said.

In Chicago on Monday, Toppin came in for Randle to start the fourth quarter. But less than two minutes later, Thibodeau yanked him and sent Randle back in. In his 1:57 stint, Toppin committed two fouls and didn’t take a shot.

Thibodeau said the Bulls were owning the boards, and he wanted Randle back. Toppin played 8:46 in the loss, scoring four points and making his lone shot attempt — an alley-oop dunk.

Thibodeau said Toppin’s team defense is still an issue. Clearly, the lack of summer league affected Toppin more than most rookies; he came from mid-major Dayton, which never got a chance to show its stuff in the NCAA Tournament once it was canceled because of the pandemic.

Perhaps Toppin’s draft stock wouldn’t have been as high if he hadn’t dominated the Big Dance, but we will never know that. He’s averaging 4.6 points in 12 games.

“He’s been playing pretty well,” Thibodeau said after Monday’s game. “We started the fourth and the rebounding was an issue. And so just all-around play. But I like the things that he’s doing, he’s playing with good energy. I’d say that’s the biggest part is him learning the NBA.”

Toppin’s defense was his issue coming out of Dayton. It’s why Cleveland went with Isaac Okoro at No. 5 when mock drafts had Toppin, the 22-year-old late bloomer, pegged to stay in Ohio.

“The defense and being a multiple-effort guy, you have to do more than one thing,” Thibodeau said of Toppin. “He may get the initial part, but there’s a second, third and fourth part that has to be done also. So we’re asking him to do a lot. He’s picking it up. He’s getting better. I like his approach. Just got to keep working.”

As advertised, Thibodeau is playing the guys he thinks will help him win — regardless of lottery résumé or youth or potential.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 AM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Toppin looks a little lost running around, setting screens, getting open and not getting the ball.

That quote says a lot about the NBA. Sounds to me like the other players are lost if he is getting open and NOT getting the ball.
Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
That quote says a lot about the NBA. Sounds to me like the other players are lost if he is getting open and NOT getting the ball.
It makes for a nice story that Obi is playing for his hometown team. He's also on a team of individuals looking to pad stats in order to play their way out of town...fast. Which is why the Knicks are the dumpster fire they are. Tough situation for Obi, especially coming from a program that demanded the opposite. Keep grinding Obi!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
The quote is actually nonsensical. If you're setting screens, making cuts, and getting open you are by definition not "lost."

I find the comments about his defense to be downright hilarious. Do these people watch the games? Other than the occasional blocked shot or steal there is very little defense played. Nobody stops ball. The Bulls were absolutely destroyed by Elfrid Payton last night because they never even attempted to stop him from getting into the lane. You can't let NBA players just go wherever they want to because they tend to make wide-open shots.

While I was excited as anyone on draft night when the pick happened deep down I felt what we all probably felt: he is going to one of the worst franchises in all of sports. It doesn't matter how good or tough or "defensive minded" your coach is if your organization is run by completely incompetent boobs. Getting drafted by the Knicks is a "feel good" story because he is from NY, but it was the worst possible thing for his career.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2021), Swampy Meadows (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
It makes for a nice story that Obi is playing for his hometown team. He's also on a team of individuals looking to pad stats in order to play their way out of town...fast. Which is why the Knicks are the dumpster fire they are. Tough situation for Obi, especially coming from a program that demanded the opposite. Keep grinding Obi!
I don't think his teammates being ballhogs is Obi's biggest problem. He doesn't play in an especially team-friendly system (second last in the league in assists per game), but more than anything he's not a fit for Thibs.

He'll have a very hard time finding a flow to his game with the spotty minutes he gets. He'll also get next to no rope, or room for error, with Thibs. An error on the defensive end or giving up a few offensive boards means Obi's shift is over for the quarter. The offense is slow and isolation heavy as well. That ain't Obi's game.

What Thibs wants from his team and what Obi is are not matches. It's going to continue to be a struggle until Thibs is no longer Obi's coach, or Obi significantly changes his game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (02-04-2021), SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
I don't think his teammates being ballhogs is Obi's biggest problem. He doesn't play in an especially team-friendly system (second last in the league in assists per game), but more than anything he's not a fit for Thibs.

Thanks for that info. I quickly looked for team NBA team stats the other night, but gave up after a minute or two. I knew they had to be in the bottom few, as quite frankly the team (I mean group of individuals who all want to pad their own scoring average) is painful to watch. I grew up playing, coaching and watching TEAM basketball. If you want to try an individual sport take up golf or bowling!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2021)