Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Mission Accomplished?
Mission Accomplished?
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-11-2010
Mission Accomplished?

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- One thing on which Xavier fans and yours truly can totally agree is that my record as a prognosticator is somewhat spotty at best…especially when it comes to those Flyer road games down at Norwood U. Call me stubborn, but I’m gonna keep pickin’ UD to win down there until I finally get it right.

I do a lot better when UD is at home facing the X men in the Arena hard by I-75: last week I had said the Flyboys would win by 14 and they ended up beating Eggs by 25. After the X victory, I came up with this item:

“When properly motivated, this Flyer team can play with anyone. Now what BG and the Boys can and must do is this:

Come out with even more intensity vs. Charlotte on Wednesday and blow them out by an even bigger margin than they did the Mouskies.

Xavier was a must win game for the Flyboys; Charlotte will be a statement game, i.e., make no mistake: the Xavier blowout was no mistake.”

And dang if the Flyers didn’t go out and smoke the ‘49ers by 28 which, last time I looked, is indeed a number that is larger than 25. How did that happen?

The very next thought in that column was this:

“While UD has established that they can play with anyone, it remains to be seen whether they can play with anyone, anywhere.”

Which brings us to the St. Louis game.

Whattya think? Should I go ahead and predict that UD will trounce SLU by 40, just to see if they can keep this up?

The weather gods are doing everything they can to help the Flyers:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

While Thick Rick and his boys are holed up at the Philly airport, an anxious Flyer Nation wonders which Dayton team is gonna show up on ESPNU at 4:00PM this Saturday? The one that fell in Philly to a lightweight SJU squad and then (thanks in part to some bad cheesesteaks) lost a heartbreaker at home to URI? Or the one that most recently embarrassed the-then-top rated A-10 team for 2 games in succession?

Good question.

The old saying is that “life imitates art.” I much prefer the more sublime “basketball imitates politics.” Stay with me, here.

I can’t remember a more glaring case of political miscalculation than the speech delivered by Dubya on the decks of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. You remember that one, don’t you?

http://www.yougotstyle.org/archives/...complished.jpg

“Mission Accomplished?” Not so much. Just ask the men and women who are currently serving in Afghanistan seven years after Bush’s premature annunciation.

In hoops parlance, Bush went for the Sports Illustrated cover when, in reality, he probably should have limited himself to posting in a game thread on some message board somewhere.

My point? The Flyers haven’t accomplished jack as of yet. Okay, they crushed X on national TV, which is always fun. And yeah, they dismantled UNCC while most of us were hitting “refresh” on the DaytonFlyers.com website. So what?

Here’s how BG phrased it on DaytonFlyers.com:

“You don’t want the guys sitting around feeling satisfied because they got the win on Saturday. We have to keep getting better and improving. The win was great, but how we did it and how we are progressing is more satisfying.”

And RL provides some insight on the team’s thought process:

“Coach tells us to think about controlling one game at a time. We can’t think about the NCAA Tournament, that’s last year. We need to focus on one game at a time. I think it’s helped us in the second half of the season, not thinking about the NCAA Tournament and the future.”

Bottom line:

Don’t peek at LaSalle.

Don’t prepare for Duquesne.

Don’t look ahead to Temple.

Don’t concern yourself with UMass.

Don’t think about Richmond.

Don’t worry about facing SLU at home on Senior Night.

Don’t even start to make travel plans for Atlantic City.

And whatever you do, don’t assume you are a “lock” for the NCAA.

Until you accomplish the mission at hand. Focus all your effort and energy on one thing: beating St. Louis in the Gateway City on Saturday afternoon.

And then say “next?”

One of my favorite pieces of video from the Red Sox 2004 season is Kevin Millar talking to his teammates around the batting cage at Fenway before game 4 of the ALCS vs. the Yankees. His quote:

“Whatever you do, don’t let us win tonight.”

He went on to explain that if the Sawx won game 4, then they would have Pedro, then Schilling and in Game 7, anything could transpire.

Which is exactly what happened.

8 in a row.

World Champions.

Mission accomplished.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools