User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-25-2024, 09:04 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,996 Times in 2,963 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Jim Harbaugh/UD Football story

Was surprised to see this tale that involves Dayton in a piece about Harbaugh's former players:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...chargers-coach

Before Harbaugh arrived, San Diego had won one game against its biggest rival, the University of Dayton, since joining the Pioneer Football League in 1993. Harbaugh won his first matchup of 2004 38-35, with a game-sealing interception by Bakhtiari, who dropped into coverage to pick off Dayton quarterback Brandon Staley -- the Chargers' former coach who was fired in December, and whom Harbaugh would replace.

After the win, Harbaugh decided he needed to add stakes to this rivalry. So without consulting the opposing head coach, Harbaugh bought a flag and designed it so it was Dayton red on one side and San Diego blue on the other. He decided that the teams would play for the flag each year, adding the final score to the flag after each game.

San Diego ran out with the flag ahead of its matchup the following year, with the 38-35 score written much to the confusion of the Dayton players. In 2005, San Diego won 48-24.

"And Harbo goes to their coach, 'Oh, by the way, we made this flag. This is what we are playing for every year. We obviously get to keep it because we've won two years in a row now,'" Bakhtiari said. "And the coach is confused and like, 'Well I'll have to think about it, Coach.'"

San Diego would beat Dayton again the following year, before Harbaugh left for Stanford after three seasons. Without Harbaugh the following year, San Diego lost for the first time in four matchups. It was the final time the teams played for the flag.

"They came and ripped the flag off our sidelines," Bakhtiari said, laughing. "And I think it's like in someone's garage now. They never end up playing for it again. They were so mad. But it was cool, man, he artificially created this trophy game, but it got us all pumped up. We were all about that flag."
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-27-2024)
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2024, 10:18 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,853 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Another Harbaugh story

My wife and I were at Mass in Atherton CA a few weeks before Harbaugh started his Stanford job. I spotted Harbaugh in the pew in front of us with his fiancÚ. After Mass I approached Jim, mentioned my Dayton connection...and we had a nice chat about the UD-USD rivalry and a few other things.

I am well aware of Harbaugh's reputation as a jerk. But what I well remember is how friendly and pleasant he was that day.,,,could not have been nicer...a fond memory for us.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-27-2024)