UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-19-2024, 12:51 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 10,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,530 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
2024 Schedule Watch

So we know we will have Marquette and Western KY on both the 2024 and 2025 the fall schedule for one of the pre-conference weekend tournaments as we entered into a 3-team agreement with each of the 3 teams hosting one year. We will be on the road the next 2 years. Figgie stats year-end rpi was #19 WKY, #20 UD, #23 Marquette. So that should be two Top 25 matches for us this fall.

We played at UNI last season - Alaynaís hometown. Their rpi finished at #30. Hopefully thatís a home-home contract and we get them in Dayton in 2024 or 2025.

Baylor finished at #27. Senior Alyssa Miller is from the Dallas area. Might be a trip south in the options. Baylor has come to UD before and we have played them at neutral sights. National Champs Texas might entertain us in Austin or #22 SMU or #36 TCU.

Regional Teams:
#3 Pitt
#8 KY
#11 TN
#13 Purdue
#14 GA Tech
#17 Penn St
#34 WMI

#1 NE wonít come to Frericks again. Too hot. (Pansies.) But if they put together a weekend with #10 Creighton - who they always play and either #5 Louisville or #28 Iowa State - heck yeah we should travel to Lincoln. Louisville and Iowa State head coaches are NE VB alums.

So the schedule watch begins. We need more top 40 teams this year, but itís tough to predict, and teams we played under-performed last year, including conference foes.
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2024, 12:12 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Now that the spring schedule is out, might give us a couple more scheduling clues. We have played teams in spring that we then play regular season.

I’m sure tOSU would like to play us and they are probably the pursuer this year. They did not have a good season last year. I think Covid depleted some of their talent as players ran out the clock so they had more new personnel. We finished ranked #20 and everything look more promising for this year. A loss to us will not hurt their rpi and they need to prepare for the BIG10 with some tough matches they hope to win. Haven’t played then for a couple years.

Louisville - maybe. There are great relationships between the programs/coaching staffs. Horsmon’s step son spent a year as volunteer coach at Louisville 2 years ago before getting an assistant job at NC thus past season. But we have played them in recent years.

Kentucky - I’d say pretty good odds here. Played a home-home contract a couple years ago. Again, good synergy between staff. One of Horsmon’s players during his first tenure was hired by their coach as Director of ops many moons ago.

Xavier - a UD/Horsmon coached alum is head coach. They had a solid year last season finishing 4th in the Big East. I don’t know what they return, but our coaching staff will and that’s probably the factor - will they be solid again this year?

Wright State - we’ve had a very good 4-5 year run with them. They won 3 of the last 4 with their previous staff that included a guy who moved over to that job after being a UD volunteer coach. New coach last 2 seasons? I could see us taking a couple years off with them unless the roster is good and we expect them to be solid with a chance to win their conference. I could also see us move to Xavier if we think they will be stronger.

Also adds - not on spring schedule:

Ohio U - they came to UD last year, so we might have a backend of a home-home with them.

UIC - Drake - same boat as Ohio U.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:49 PM

I saw a social media post after the last spring match. Said something like see you August 30th. So I’m going to guess we have a home tournament to open the season this fall. We will travel to either Marquette or WKY for the 2nd year of a 3-year agreement with those two teams.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:33 PM

The schedule came out on May 19th last year, so I’m expecting something in the next 2-3 weeks. It is contingent on all the contracts getting signed and delivered between the teams, but I think we are getting close.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (04-29-2024), Glen Clark (04-29-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Some schedules posted - Nonconference Info

Dayton will play at Western Kentucky Invitational September 13th and 14th. Participants are Dayton, Western Kentucky, Marquette, and Illinois.

https://wkusports.com/sports/womens-...ball/schedule/

Dayton will host the Dayton Flyer Classic Aug 30th and 31st. Participants will be Dayton, Florida International, Northern Iowa, and Ohio State.

https://unipanthers.com/sports/women...yball/schedule
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-03-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 04:13 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Loyola Chicago Ramblers also show up on the WKU schedule.

Saint Louis Billikens show up on the South Dakota Coyote schedule at Iowa. All playing Drake. (SLU/South Dakota/Iowa/Drake)
https://goyotes.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
Dayton will play at Western Kentucky Invitational September 13th and 14th. Participants are Dayton, Western Kentucky, Marquette, and Illinois.

https://wkusports.com/sports/womens-...ball/schedule/

Dayton will host the Dayton Flyer Classic Aug 30th and 31st. Participants will be Dayton, Florida International, Northern Iowa, and Ohio State.

https://unipanthers.com/sports/women...yball/schedule
These are GREAT pre-conference tournaments. We need one more strong weekend and then a solid, but softer weekend. Good to start the season at home with FL International, UNI and tOSU. And as always, we take the toughest teams we can get - so if that means no softer - bring it on.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-03-2024 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-03-2024, 04:21 PM

UNI put together a solid pre-conference slate. Louisville, Rice, Creighton, TXAM and SMU twice. All these schools will be in our math because they are our opponents’ opponents.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:38 PM

Like last year - we have a great team returning and the push will be to crack the Top 16 or better rpi in hopes of hosting the first 2 rounds of the NCAAs. Last year we fell short by I believe 1 OOC match - maybe it ended up being 2? - to pick up the Double Bonus when you have 50% or more OOC opponents that are in the top 75 rpi.

Based on figgie stat rpi at the end of last year - for the 6 may]tches we know about, it’s 50-50.

WKY - 19
Marquette - 23
UNI - 30
tOSU - 89 - they were young and should be better this season
ILL - 97
FL In - 178

Based on this, I’m now hoping we can get into 2 more tournaments that has 2 of the 3 opponents that can crack the Top 75. It’s difficult. We usually have 14 OOC matches. So we need 7 teams out of actually 74 - because UD will be there to make 75. That’s 10% and a lot of schools are too far and it’s competitive to get the good teams.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:18 AM

Well 2-3 years ago we waited until June to get the schedule. It was because Wisconsin was having problems filling out their dance card for their tournament. We finally released our schedule with a TBD note on the 4th team for that event. They never could pick up a team so we ended up playing Wisconsin twice on that trip. And I think we got paid a boatload of money from them to do it. That comment came from Sheff so I’m pretty confident it’s accurate.

Hopefully we are waiting for another big time program to complete their schedule for a tough OOC tournament again.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-05-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 10:33 AM
Colonel

Dayton shows up on the UMBC 2024 schedule. Tournament at Wright State. Dayton/Wright St. / UMBC / and Bowling Green, on 9/6, 9/7, and 9/8.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-11-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-11-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:20 AM

I popped out to about 7 A10 volleyball web pages and none of them have their 2024 schedules posted. You have to think that means the A10 doesn’t have the volleyball schedule done? That’s actually pretty sad. What the heck.

Thanks to udisit19, we know 3 of the 4 OOC weekends. The 4th one is the weekend before conference play starts (Sept 20-22). I’m still looking to see if we head south into Texas or close to play a weekend in Sr. Alyssa Miller’s hometown region. Of note is the first 3 weekends are very little travel. Our tournament, one over at Wright St and a trip to WKY. All very budget-friendly. So maybe a little longer road trip is planned. Florida would also be good, but I’ll take a trip to close-by Pitt or Louisville too.

We already have 2 BIG10 opponents this year - tOSU and ILL. We had none last year, but usually we have one. Two is unusual. So I would love to see an ACC, SEC or Big 12 team for that 4th pre-conference weekend. We should also have a mid-week match sometime during conference play to complete our OOC teams. It’s always a close team…so I’m guessing Xavier (Big East) or Cincinnati (Big 12). But, it’s been also Ohio or Miami in the past.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:23 PM

Just released. The 4th OOC weekend is a trip to Florida. It’s hosted by FL Gulf Coast but we play them once and South Florida twice. No mid-week OOC match this year.

Exhibition match against Kentucky - always a good choice.

We host the A10 Tourney - always a good choice. ��

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2024/6...-schedule.aspx

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-12-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:57 PM

So I’m not sure why we are playing South FL twice instead of the host FGC. So FL is an AAC team. SMU won the conference last year but they jumped conferences. The AAC is still stronger than the ASUN which FGC is in. But So FL finished with rpi 84 last year. FGCU was 52. I know nothing about their rosters/players, so I’m hoping SoFL will be the stronger team this year. There are a bunch of A10 teams this fall with 5-9 new freshmen. Those are young teams. We need stiff completion from this OOC schedule.

Here are the figgie stat rpi from the end of last season:

19 WKY
20 UD
23 Marquette
30 UNI
52 FGCU
57 UMBC
75 Wright St
84 SoFL x 2 matches
89 tOSU
97 ILL
122 Bowling Green
178 FL Int’l

6 of the 12 finished as a Top 75 rpi team - which will qualify for the OOC bonus in our rpi if that holds for this year. I expected tOSU to be better this year based on their setter development. They were young last year including a freshman setter. But they now have 12 of 16 players that are freshman or sophomores. 7 freshmen. Yikes. I think that makes them even younger than last year, but those on the court should be more experienced.

I don’t know anything about ILL. I see 6 of their 18 players are freshmen, but 2 are redshirt freshmen. They have been middle-of-the-pack since their really good Head Coach took the Stanford job about 5 years ago. It’s going to be interesting to see the portal jumping impact on these super big conferences when you get past the top 4-5 teams.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-13-2024 at 09:11 AM..