UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-20-2021, 05:41 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Fall 21 Schedule

Two seasons ago, we hosted Michigan and Missouri. I think both of those teams could be on our schedule this fall as away games. That could be 2 of our 4 pre-conference weekends. We traveled to Louisville two years ago, and I think we played the exhibition at Louisville this spring to “save” the second match in that contract for this fall. I would be very surprised if Louisville is not a home match this fall. Sweet 16 team that also took Washington to 5 sets.

I think we have a good shot at maybe a Florida match. We played them at Louisville 2 years ago. Pushed them to 5 sets. We might get invited to play at FL, but if we travel to MO and MI, it could also be a home match?

We might look at Stanford. They had a bad season. Not sure what happened. They did not make the NCAAs and I think they owned the longest consecutive NCAAs before that - they were at least one of the top 3. Not now. Their coach is the former ILL coach and we played them a lot when Hamby was at ILL. So he knows our program plus, their strength coach is a former UD football player married to a former UD volleyball player. We got connections and Stanford needs tough matches to get ready for the PAC12. They might even travel to UD. They played at SLU the year SLU opened their new arena. I would think UD-FL-Stanford-WKY or some BIG team, would be a very attractive weekend for all invited. Frericks would be so loud.

Purdue-Penn State-Illinois-Indiana-Iowa-tOSU: I could see us scheduling two Big 10 teams this year if possible. Some of these teams would fall into a good first weekend option. Some of them fall into a we need as tough a match as we can find option. I don’t think we would schedule Wisconsin.

Marquette-Creighton: possible. They are always 1-2 in the Big East.

WKY: they have been a good NCAA team the last two years. Sweet 16 last year. I don’t know their roster - meaning they might be losing a big percentage of their talent. But possible good regional match.

KY: we’ve had contracts with them in the past and have a good working relationship between the two programs. They are in the Final 4 and the 2nd seed this year.

Pittsburgh: we did a contract with them 2/3 years ago. We’ve played them in the NCAAs several times, and to be honest, helped their program become elite. I think they are always a possibility because both programs need tough pre-conference matches.

Wright State: gotta think they will play at Frericks this year. Happy to have them. Their coach has done a great job building a great program. Their assistant coach was a volunteer coach at Dayton a couple years ago under Horsmon.

The good news is I don’t think it will take long to fill out our dance card. Dayton will be a highly sought after match. Before COVID, we usually had the schedule sometime May/June. Hopefully we will know soon.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-20-2021 at 05:52 AM..
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2021, 03:37 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Can we pleeaaassse enter into a 10yr home and home contract with WKU.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:20 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
WKY actually made the Sweet 16 this year and they finished 23-1 with the Sweet 16 match being their only loss. They beat two ranked teams this season. They were very good last year too. They have 5 seniors and of course some of those could return. Their roster is very balanced, so they should be good again next year. It’s possible we would have scheduled them this year if it hadn’t been for Covid. Hopefully we can get it done for this fall. Their coach Travis Hudson is a good coach. Bigger programs probably have him on their short list. I’d be very happy if we get them under contract for a home-home contract for 10 years if there are outs for both sides if coaches leave. (And Horsmon isn’t leaving to coach anywhere else.)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Dayton's performance in the tournament will help them get into almost any non-conference weekend mini-tournament they want. Home matches are big, so hopefully Horsmon and crew can schedule some big time matches in Frericks.

The goal in the fall 2021 season (you need to be specific this year), will be to get ranked/increase rank/earn a top 16 seed. Its very clear that this team is capable of matching up against any other program. When the tournament comes around, UD will want get a favorable match up. They most likely did not get the 2nd round match they deserved this year.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:58 PM

Gonna add Notre Dame to potential fall opponents. Their program has been solid the last year or two. Nd I looked up Horsmon’s AVCA poll votes and he had them in the Top 25.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:27 AM

Gonna move KY higher up the ladder. The National Champs are close and we have played them in the past. Plus I just read a tweet by Associate Coach DErrico that her “best friend” is on KY’s staff as an athletic trainer. Would love to see them on our schedule.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Based on final poll...we have a good base of potential teams for the fall schedule:

#1 KY
#5 FL
#7 Purdue
#8 Pitt
#10 tOSU
#11 Louisville
#12 Penn St
#16 WKY
#24 Norte Dame
#25 Missouri
RV Wright St

Plus Michigan, who will be in the tournament next year.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-27-2021 at 09:13 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (04-28-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:11 PM

GA Southern just released their Fall 21 schedule. First DI program I’ve seen. The good news is they have four weekend tournaments before conference play starts. That’s what life was like before COVID. We should have an awesome schedule even if we have to go with 3 pre-conference weekends...but I’m hoping it’s four.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM

I looked back a couple years and noticed TN came to UD in 2018. We might have a backend of a contract with them to complete. They have a new coach since we last played. I haven’t watched them at all, but I think she’s doing a good job.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:10 PM

Well it’s going to be June before we get a schedule. The silver lining is it would be worth the wait.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:33 PM

We have a hit. X’s schedule is out and they travel to Dayton to play UD on Tues Oct 12.

Only about 28 matches to go to fill our dance card.

St Louis will play S. ILL, N CO, North Dakota and Bradley... so far. Nothing to get too exited about.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:42 PM

Ok...I still really have nothing...but...

Wright State is playing in a tournament at Marquette with UNI and UTSA. That’s a strong field that will help that program and their RPI. Plus, Marquette also plays both Wisc and KY next year, which will also help Marquette’s RPI and WSU’s RPI at the opponents’ opponents level.

And I expect we will play WSU again this season, so it helps us if that happens.

That’s all I’ve got...basically nothing. We’re about 75 days out from the season opener. We have to be getting close to seeing our schedule.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-08-2021 at 12:44 PM..
Glen Clark (06-08-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:21 AM

In the above possible teams on our schedule this fall...we can cross off Indiana and Marquette. Their schedules are out in full and no UD. The Big10 in-conference schedules are out but most teams still completing their OOC.

We have X at home and I’m fairly confident we will have MI on the road, Wright State at home and Louisville at home. Also a probability MO on the road. Everything else is a mystery.
Glen Clark (06-14-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 PM

Big-big-big hit

I almost put this under its own thread. It’s as big as you can get. National Champions Kentucky will open Dayton’s Fall 2021 schedule. The Dayton Invitational will be the first weekend, August 27-28. Kentucky is booked at Fredrick. Nothing like starting at the top. I love it! No news on who else will be joining them - probably 2 more teams. I doubt it will be Louisville because Kentucky is playing them in September. Maybe a BIG10 team????

So we have Kentucky and Xavier booked.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (06-17-2021), Glen Clark (06-18-2021), jaburr91 (06-18-2021), jack72 (06-18-2021), keats '91 (06-17-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-18-2021), The Fly (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 08:19 PM

Maybe UD, KY, Wright State and a Big10. Purdue? Penn St?
Old 06-17-2021, 08:24 PM

This is a pleasant surprise...George Mason is flying out to Irvine, CA to play UC Irvine, Boise St and So. Utah. That’s a good job by GMason.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I almost put this under its own thread. It’s as big as you can get. National Champions Kentucky will open Dayton’s Fall 2021 schedule. The Dayton Invitational will be the first weekend, August 27-28. Kentucky is booked at Fredrick. Nothing like starting at the top. I love it! No news on who else will be joining them - probably 2 more teams. I doubt it will be Louisville because Kentucky is playing them in September. Maybe a BIG10 team????

So we have Kentucky and Xavier booked.
Sorry about auto correct...Frericks.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
FULL SCHEDULE PUBLISHED ( with times and dates)
https://daytonflyers.com/sports/wome...yball/schedule

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 06-23-2021 at 01:32 PM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:44 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Now the question on if they are still allowing fans. Or, if fans are only allowed in the upper decks, since I have not received notice of renewal of volleyball season tickets.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I think they are waiting to see if the university goal of 70% vaccination rate is reached, since the venue is on campus. AS of 3 days ago 55% of the UD community is registered as vaccinated. They probably won't reach it by July 1, but should by August.
If not, I hope they treat it the same as the Arena, but at the very least let peole sit in the upper level.
If I don't hear something on my seat by August, I'll be sending an email to Neil.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:49 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
If I don't hear something on my seat by August, I'll be sending an email to Neil.
Ruh roh! Neil's in trouble!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-23-2021), Glen Clark (06-23-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Figgie, a friend was talking to the ticket office today about a BB issue and asked about VB reserved seats. She was told that when they get the word that fans are allowed,they have the letters ready to send out to fans who have had seats in the past for renewal. She didn't know when she might expect word, but bottom line is if fans are allowed there will be reserved seating. (Still keeping to my August deadline :-)
Figgie123 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Ok...now that I’ve picked myself up off the floor after I fell off the sofa when I saw we are headed to Wisconsin....I can comment on the schedule.

1. So far 5 NCAA participants, starting with National Champs KY (Who returns almost everyone), Final 4 Wisconsin (who returns everyone - all their seniors are returning for a COVID year), two 2nd round participants in WSU and TX St, both won their conferences, and 1st round participant ILL St who won their conference tourney for the auto bid. I expect the Wisconsin Tournament to have at least one more NCAA participant if not two. Also, Michigan should make the tournament this year if it’s a 64 team field.
2. Two Big 10 opponents in the regular season is probably a first. The National Champion is a first. We played Illinois the year after they were runner-ups, but they had graduated a bunch of their team and didn’t make the tournament the year we played them, so sort of a red herring. I think we beat then.
3. Cincinnati had a down year last year, so hopefully they bounce back this year.
4. I don’t know anything about Central Michigan or Boston college.
5. Eastern Michigan has a historically pretty solid program. A couple years ago they hired Darcy Dorton as head coach. She played at Penn St with Alyssa D’Errico and then transferred to College of Charleston when sand VB was added as a college sport. I think she might have looked at Dayton during her transfer search, but Charleston had sand. Her name was kicked around by UD, but I don’t know if she visited.
6. No mid-week OOC matches and no match after the A10 Tourney before NCAAs. We use to play Ohio or Miami that weekend which was usually after Thanksgiving. So we have a week off before the NCAAs.
7. I’m sure our toughest schedule ever and when the Wisconsin Tourney is announced, I’m sure it will be even tougher. Kudos to Tim and Neil for teeing up Wisconsin.
8. I’m guessing also a first....fans are posting comments about lining up to buy their volleyball season tickets. That warms my heart...if it August yet?

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-23-2021 at 09:06 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (06-23-2021), jaburr91 (06-23-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 PM

In conference...no LaSalle anymore, so we play 16 matches - everyone twice.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 PM

I’m also happy to see 6 matches that will have the challenge systems in play. I thought TH did an ok job at the NCAAs with his challenges. The coaches rely on the players for guidance on when to use a challenge. I saw that across all matches. So it also helps the players get a feel for when to speak up and encourage a challenge. But right now conferences that have this in play every match really help their teams come tournament time and I think that divide might be growing.
Glen Clark (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 10:17 AM

I caught this this am when looking at the schedule again....

The first weekend when KY comes to town, we play them on Friday night at 7 pm in Fredrick. No surprise there. History has shown that Friday nights are the best night to get students packed into Fredrick. Hopefully COVID allows that.

But...very interesting that UD also scheduled TX St vs Cincy at the same time over at UD Arena. Hmmmmm. Two thoughts crossed my mind. First if COVID limits attendance at Fredrick - our preferred venue for this match because it’s a tough-tough place to play when packed, then maybe they move it to UD Arena so they can give fans a chance to see this great match. That’s really smart thinking ahead and doing everything to open this to students and the public as a back up plan.

My 2nd thought is the NCAA use to require schools that hosted the Regional Tournament weekend - this is the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 matches - to have actually played a match in the venue. Back then schools put in bids for the right to host the 2nd weekend. UD won that bid in 2010 and played a match over at AD Arena during the regular season to meet that requirement.

The NCAA no longer does bids for the 1st and 2nd weekends. The host schools are determined by highest seeds left - usually the top 4 seeds. I would bet UD is preparing for the possibility which is exactly what they should be doing. Clearly we hope to host the first weekend. We will know as the season progresses if those matches need to be moved to UD Arena to accommodate fan demand. But the 2nd weekend would have to take place at the Arena if we are in consideration for that event, so great job by Tim and Neil to plan ahead.

Finally, I’m also aware that the visiting teams might have asked to get matches in so they can accommodate travel plans, but I think this is probably a small percentage reason for scheduling a UD Arena match. I think they would simply adjust times of matches and play them all in Fredrick. That’s what they’ve done forever. I’m inclined to think the first two points are more likely and if so, says a lot about what a healthy team this fall might accomplish.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-24-2021 at 10:21 AM..
Old 06-24-2021, 07:04 PM

Louisville and Missouri - these probably slide to the 2022 schedule. That’s a nice start for that schedule. Louisville would be at UD and MO would be on the road.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:13 PM

I looked up a couple teams to see how many players are returning for a COVID year. Wisconsin has 5 coming back - all in their starting rotation.

Kentucky doesn’t appear to have anyone coming back. They will need to replace some key components. Their setter was national POY. Their Libero was really good in the NCAAs. They lose a MB and an OH from their starting rotation. Having them in the first weekend is brilliant. Real shot at knocking them off.

I don’t think MI has anyone taking the extra year. We have Swink coming back. I’ve seen a lot of grad transfers from this past year going one more year. It takes two years for most grad programs, so why not play too. I see Brooke Westbeld is doing that at Indiana.

Usually the preseason poll honors the national champs as #1, but not always. I would guess Wisconsin will be the preseason #1 in the fall because they bring everyone back. I don’t think we’ve ever played a #1 ranked team...so probably another first. Student bus trip to Madison? UD hasn’t had one of those in a long time.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant General

I'd like an alumni/old fan bus trip. :-)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-24-2021), jaburr91 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 PM

A couple more A10 matches that are impressive.

Rhode Island is going to TX Tech and will also play TX State and tOSU that weekend.

VCU hosts a tournament with tOSU, U of Va and James Madison.
Glen Clark (06-24-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 06:52 PM

I was looking at Wisconsin’s ooc preconference scheduling and they have TCU & Baylor the first weekend. Kentucky & Marquette the 3rd weekend.

We travel to Madison the 2nd weekend...and the final 2 teams have not been announced. So maybe a PAC school and I’d love to have WKY. The tougher the opponents, the better.
Glen Clark (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 05:51 PM

I’d take Pitt and BYU up in Madison too. Maybe UCLA or Stanford. Good options from conferences WI isn’t already playing teams from. Maybe Notre Dame.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:37 PM

It won’t be Pittsburgh or Tennessee in Madison. They are booked elsewhere that weekend.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:30 AM
Lieutenant General

ATTN: Figgie
The invoice for Volleyball Premium Seating is now active in "My Flyer Account" on the website. Emails will probably come out soon.
Must be confident that UD will hit 70% threshhold soon. Last I heard was 63%.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (07-02-2021), Figgie123 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:30 PM

Well...I never saw this coming. We will play Wisconsin twice Sept 2 and 3 in Madison. I actually like it. They will be ranked 1 or 2 with Texas, so what the heck. Two bites at the apple and a chance to work on and fix things to play and compete with one of the teams that can win it all early in the season. No complaints here. Go Flyers.

It’s a Thursday - Friday set up.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (07-08-2021), Figgie123 (07-08-2021), Glen Clark (07-08-2021), jack72 (07-08-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-08-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:16 PM

VCU puts together a pretty good OOC schedule. Pre conference they play FL St, tOSU, Pepperdine, UC Santa Barbara, WA St and Denver. Those teams are all in the running to be Tournament teams. They also have ILL St and High Point. Those teams usually finish 1st or 2nd in their conference, so solid RPI winning percentages. And in Oct they play American, another strong Tournament team for the Patriot League. VCU scheduled to built a chance for an at large bid....as they should. It’s a good schedule, and smart.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 07-09-2021 at 09:02 PM..
Old 07-09-2021, 10:29 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Thats a great schedule. I wish we'd play American on a recurring basis. They and WKU are my wish list non P5 alliance scheduling buddies.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:37 AM

Waiting for SLUs schedule. Hope it’s as aggressive as VCU’s, meaning built to support a strong RPI and at-large bid.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Thats a great schedule. I wish we'd play American on a recurring basis. They and WKU are my wish list non P5 alliance scheduling buddies.
Two good options. I’d like to see P6 Marquette and Creighton in the mix more often too. Recovering from COVID budget hits might prevent a west coast trip next year, (and I think we have MO and Louisville already in that mix) but I see VCU is headed that way this year. Several teams out West I’d love to play regular season including BYU. Same could be said for the state of Texas. Baylor, A&M, Rice and the top dog Texas. Having Texas State coming to Dayton this year might be that opening for next year. They finished the year Receiving Votes. UD was 26th. TX St was 28th and Wright St was 29th.

3 matches against teams that will be ranked in the Top 5 or higher. Two against Wisconsin and KY. That’s never happened. 3 matches against Big 10 teams. That’s never happened. I’d like to see 2 every year - we’ve consistently had one Big10 every year. Having 3 this year is a home run. Both VCU and UD have done a great job scheduling this year, but so have other A10 teams in perspective to where they finish in the conference. That helps everyone and the conference as a whole. Hopefully SLU can add to the strong schedule trend.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:46 AM

No official announcement on the schedule yet out on daytonflyers.com. They did change the Wisconsin dates to the Thursday-Friday set up, but it’s still listed as a Wisconsin Tournament. WI might still be trying to add a team to the mix. I also noticed we have no red-blue scrimmage or exhibition match listed. I would love to see us add tOSU in an exhibition match this year. Both programs would benefit from a tough match before they start counting. We have KY the first weekend and they have Washington. Not a lot of time and cost for either program to make that happen.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:02 PM

Or maybe WKY for Chris.
Chris R (07-13-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Or maybe WKY for Chris.
Not going to happen. WKY and KY are scheduled for an exhibition before the season starts. Gonna have to try for tOSU.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:48 PM

Another opponent’s schedule is out and it’s a good one. Wright State will play at Michigan St and at Marquette. That’s great for their program. They also play Northern Iowa and Ball State. This is a very solid schedule that will help our RPI. I’m not sure I’ve seen a “bad” schedule yet from our major opponents.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 07-16-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-16-2021, 06:52 PM

Here’s another great schedule - ILL State.

VCU, Dayton, Ohio, Marquette, North TX, ILL and Missouri.

That’s outstanding and again, really helps our RPI in the “opponent’s Opponents”
Category.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:16 PM

No SLU schedule out yet, but I found them on a couple other schedules. Great 1st weekend.

Creighton, Kansas City and Missouri

Also playing So ILL.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 07-17-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Old 07-19-2021, 01:27 PM

Purdue or Penn St would also be a good exhibition match. Neither have an exhibition or any intra squad or alumni match on their schedules. If it’s Penn State, Alyssa could play and it could be tagged alumni.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:47 AM

SLU schedule is released and it too is pretty good. It’s got some teams I’m not very familiar with, so it might appear a little weak, but I think it works to set them up for an at-large bid and that’s what they should schedule for. I’m including last year’s winning percentages, but being such an abnormal year, you can draw your own conclusions on the worth.

Great 1st weekend. Kansas City & Creighton won 800% of their matches last year. Creighton is always 1 or 2 in the Big East. Missouri won 700% last year and finished ranked 25th - just ahead of Dayton.

Second weekend, Ark Pine Bluff (700%), Ark St (450%) and Murray St (300)
Third, MO St (700), Tulane (600) and LA Monroe (100)
Fourth, NO CO (800), Bradley (600) and North Dak (100)

Overall pretty solid. You don’t control a lot of the opponents in these pre-conference weekends, but 8 of the 12 teams had winning records last year even if some aren’t big name programs. I would have liked them to schedule stronger at their own tournament the 2nd weekend, but You want to support your winning percentage first, because that’s 50% of the RPI calculation. Then your opponents win percent which is 25% and finally your opponents opponents win percentage which is 25%. So I think this works for SLU and the conference. Pretty good schedule. The A10 schedules and a handful of other matches I’ve seen for teams that haven’t announced schedules yet...it appears this will easily be the best year ever from all conference teams in support of helping everyone’s RPI. I’m not sure how that came to be, but we will take it. Great scheduling so far.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 07-21-2021 at 06:22 PM..
Old 08-03-2021, 05:16 PM

It looks like the schedule is now complete with the addition of an Exhibition match with Louisville on Sat Aug 21. It will be in Dayton at 4 pm, but I don’t know if it will be open to the public. Before COVID it would have been, but not sure either team wants to go there for an exhibition.

Louisville finished ranked #11 last year. It’s a great addition to the schedule and will help us prepare for Cincinnati, Kentucky and TX State the following weekend.

Great schedule. Probably our best ever and with other very good schedules in the A10, our RPI should be in very good shape this season.
jack72 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:59 PM

Louisville always gives us problems (in a good way). Just the kind of match you want to assess with heading into the regular season.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM

I popped out to Louisville’s schedule and it still reads they are having a Red-Black scrimmage that day. So it looks like this was put together late in the process. I love the fact that this program and UD athletics are continuing to work hard to give this year’s team every opportunity to do very special things. So much was out of control last year. This year no stone is being left unturned. Neil is doing an incredible job of running this department and using everything he has to find ways to raise UDs profile. This is “only” an exhibition match, but it might prove out to be one of the most important matches this year. It has to play out, but anytime you can pick up a competition of any kind against a Top 15 program, you go for it.
Glen Clark (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Looked up LV’s returning roster. They have not updated player classifications if any players have received a COVID year. But their best two players are returning as Grad Students for a 5th year. Both were AAs last year.

Setter Differ - ACC SOY + 1st Team and 3rd Team AA (same as JPete).
MB Stevenson - ACC 1st Team and 2nd Team AA. Finished ranked #10 in Hitting % at over .400 and #34 in blocks per set.

Their other MB as a Sophomore (Tillman) finished #2 nationally in blocks per set. (Fordham MB finished 1st - having played a very weak schedule - so Tillman was the best blocker in the country IMO.) She was the ACC Defensive POY and 2nd Team ACC. Louisville has a great block - as a team they finished #1 at 3.36 B/Set. This will really help us - all our hitters. But, especially Lexie who at 5’8” has to beat great blocks to play front row. I’ll also add this will help our setters who will be competing to replace Bridget. They have to read the block and send the ball to an open hitter. Seeing the best blocking team in the country will help our young setters.

OH Jones was 1st Team ACC as a sophomore. She killed UD as a freshman two years ago.

OH DeBeer was the ACC freshman of the year.

Louisville will be better this year than last. They are only replacing their Libero who graduated. Playing them in an exhibition this year is a GREAT addition to the schedule.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-04-2021 at 10:05 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (08-04-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-04-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Lieutenant General

On Alyssa’s insta story, she posted a graphic of the schedule with a statement to not forget the Louisville exhibition on Saturday. I take that to mean fans are allowed. At any rate, I am going and hope to get in the door. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
BeckysTXA (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:51 PM
I Am A Statistical God

I plan on being there for the exhibition.

As I was putting the home schedule into my calendar, I noticed that we have a 7 game homestand over 15 days. Duquesne (Sun 10/3), VCU (Thu 10/7), Davidson (Sat 10/9), Saint Louis (Sun 10/10), Xavier (Wed 10/13), Rhode Island (Fri 10/15), and finally Fordham (Sun 10/17).

Can't say I remember that happening before. At least in the middle of the conference schedule. I found a 6 game homestand, but that was 2 non-conference weekends in a row in 2015.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:37 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I saw social media posting about the UD Invitational. Wording lead me to believe the Louisville exhibition was closed.
Glad that others are considering going, but would love to hear something before going to campus. Would be totally excited to cheer them on THIS weekend (and next).
Old 08-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Lieutenant General

I messaged Alyssa on her IG this am. She just responded saying she believes it is open to the public.
Posted via Mobile Device
BeckysTXA (08-17-2021), keats '91 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Just some more info.
Got an email today about VB games including tomorrow so it is definitely open to fans. Copied the parts that apply to all fans:

Parking
Parking will be located in P-Lot in front of Frericks. There will be no ticketing 2 hours prior to the game time in P-Lot for all games, except the morning games on August 27th. More information regarding parking for those games will be sent at a later date.

Covid Protocol
Per current guidelines, masks are not required inside Frericks Gym. Fans can wear a mask if they feel more comfortable. Fans are encouraged to wear a facemask while entering and exiting the building and visiting the restrooms. Fans should also try to social distance in the stands, if possible. These guidelines are subject to change with current local and state regulations.

Cashless Payment Methods
The University of Dayton is going 100% cashless at all venues including Frericks Center. If you wish to purchase additional concessions please be aware that credit and debit cards are the preferred method of payment.
keats '91 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 08:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Didn't want to start a new thread. Here is a Season Preview from Flyer News
https://flyernews.com/sports/volleyb...cy/08/25/2021/
BeckysTXA (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:03 AM

If you can say this...it’s “good” to hear they didn’t think they played their best against #13 Louisville. Figgie posted LV was dinking over our block and scoring. That’s a pretty easy fix. It’s more be aware and ready to move forward to pick up those balls than having to improve physically on a skill which takes longer.

Maura said they were working on the things they didn’t do well. I’m sure there were others. I love they are getting after it and my impression of Maura’s comments were they got this. She seems confident they have already played at a higher level and they just need to bring it during these big matches and she’s also confident they can do that. They have #3 and a RV team coming this weekend. Excited to get after it.