Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-04-2021, 09:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA Bracket

Dayton vs Towson, winner to face Washington.

Pretty tough draw. Survive and advance.

Power rankings
https://www.masseyratings.com/cvol/ncaa-d1/ratings

Bracket
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2021
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2021, 09:48 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure if the NCAA uses the Massey Ratings, but we were #34 in his and #33 Marquette was one of the first four teams left out of the at-large pool and did not make it in the bracket.

The last RPI before the A10 Tourney had us #42 I think. Through our A10 title results yesterday we moved up to #29. Yeah, Towson is #2!

With the unbalanced schedules I think RPI mattered less and more metric oriented power ratings like Massey weighed the talent much better, but what Im getting as is had we lost to VCU in the A10 Finals I think we'd have been one of the first four teams left out. It was a must-win for us.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt they even used RPI this year. They don’t publish an RPI until 3-4 weeks into each season because it’s so messed up when you have less than 10-12 matches of data. Towson has 6 matches and is a prime example of why they don’t publish for several weeks each year.

I think there are 15 P5 teams that did not win there conference auto bid, and all of them have been ranked or RV...so they only had to make a decision on 3-5 teams this year. I’m sure they looked at recent record and if they beat anyone relevant. I’m guessing it was pretty easy this year. The biggest complaint I’ve heard is Penn State’s seed. People think they shouldn’t have been seeded at all. They are #13.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Seems we have a considerable size advantage. Comparing stats the two teams match up fairly close.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting draw. I’ve started to take a look and I see what has made Towson so effective this year. They are short. Their front line has only one player above 6’0” (while their Roster includes 2 players above 6’, only Lydia Weirs is on the court). The short roster points to a good passing fast offense. Their player seeing the most attack attempts is Emily Jarome, a 5’11” JR outside hitter. This compare very similarly to a team we played a lot this year. SLU is led by 5’11” SR OH Maya Taylor. But compared to SLU, Towson really spreads the ball out. SLU’s Taylor took 33% of the attempts while Jarome only took 28% of the attempts. SLU’s 2nd option is Emily Henken with 19% of the attempts. Towson’s second option is Nina Cajic, and she took 24% of the attempts. That is a much more even distribution and you can see why SLU struggled. Despite Taylor’s talent the offense was too predictable.

Towson’s 2nd weapon is how far they spread the ball out. Cajic has started all 6 matches as the Opposite hitter. So at times, the split between left pin and right pin attacks is very similar. I bet Towson’s hitters get a chance to go up against a lot of solo blocks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Compare that to Dayton and we only set our RS, Mahlia Swink, 10% of the time. That’s a big difference comparing the two competing RS hitters. Dayton sets Jaime a little less than Maya Taylor, but more often than Jarome at 30%. Dayton gives the green light to our Doherty 2% more often than Towson’s Spengler (8% to 6%). And for good reason. Bridget has good court vision and is successful. Bridget hits 0.368%, compared to 0.200% for Spengler.

Definitely a competition of different styles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Saw this article tonight about the tournament.
https://omaha.com/sports/college/sha...-iMp5CCjGRhvXw
Mad Props to Flyer Dave For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 01:14 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
Compare that to Dayton and we only set our RS, Mahlia Swink, 10% of the time. That’s a big difference comparing the two competing RS hitters. Dayton sets Jaime a little less than Maya Taylor, but more often than Jarome at 30%. Dayton gives the green light to our Doherty 2% more often than Towson’s Spengler (8% to 6%). And for good reason. Bridget has good court vision and is successful. Bridget hits 0.368%, compared to 0.200% for Spengler.

Definitely a competition of different styles.
Posted via Mobile Device
I’m not disagreeing with your assessment because there isn’t a lot of video out there to study on Towson. But I did see some highlights from their conference tourney. They like to send the quick shoot-set to their MBs. We also run that play so we will have the personnel to practice stopping it. Both setters dump. I would agree Bridget is probably better at it because she’s one of the best I’ve seen do it. I can’t remember her missing out of bounds this year. I’m sure it happened a time or two, but she is great sending it long to the back line or side lines when it’s open. That’s a hard shot to take. I think our outside will beat their block. Too many hitter options for them to cheat over very often. We are very diversified offensively including the back row attack now with both Jamie and Lexie. We always have a back row attacker on the court because they play opposite each other in the rotation.

Finally...their Rightside attacks...both SLU and VCU also like to send a lot of sets to the right side...so we’ve seen it and beaten teams that do it. That’s attacks going up against JPete and Lexie with a MB pairing. You worry about Lexie’s height/ability to extend her reach over the net. Our MBs take the cross court shot away when they close that block. But down the line on that set up is Maura. So pick your poison. My guess is you try to hit off Lexie’s hands out of bounds. I don’t remember that being an issue against SLU/VCU and I think both look better than Towson. But, again, very little video to study, and highlights never tell the whole story.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This link has a picture of the court included. Looks like the court is elevated. Hope no one falls off going for a ball.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNnypkYM..._web_copy_link
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:58 AM

This is Creighton’s court. Don’t know if the team was practicing across town at their gym. That’s what it looks like. The NCAAs use to have their own portable courts and they would bring them into host sites so everyone was playing on the same court. That might have been at the Sweet 16 level on up. I can’t remember. But the courts were “Sports courts” which Dayton use to have. And the courts had NCAA on them - color was the royal/light blue. I would except the NCAA courts in the CHI Arena for all teams.

Also, I thought the same thing about the raised “look” when I saw this. I looked closer and I think it’s an optical illusion. But good catch. There are some basketball arenas that have raised courts.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Is this televised?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Is this televised?
ESPN3 stream with announcers. Here are the links - at the top of this article

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2021/4...wednesday.aspx
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:42 AM

This is nice...I haven’t seen a program link before for any sport but I probably wasn’t paying attention. The Championship program... Dayton featured JPete, Bridget and Maura in the photos. Those three are the team leaders.

https://d1dhn91mufybwl.cloudfront.ne...imgcollege.com
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
ESPN3 stream with announcers. Here are the links - at the top of this article

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2021/4...wednesday.aspx
I also see that Towson is sending their own announcers and there is a broadcast link. I’m going to pop out on that about 15 minutes before match time to see if they have a pre-game show.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:57 PM

Just confirmed via Towson’s website they do have a prematch program starting at 3:15 pm. Sorry I didn’t think of this sooner, but I’ll post some of their comments.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:28 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers take first two sets easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2021, 08:58 PM

I’m watching #1 WI and #16 BYU. WI won set 1 and they are in control in the 2nd. But I’m not overly impressed with either team. We run a faster offense. They both have good players, but I haven’t seen anyone who can terminate like Lexie. They both are tall. WI will lose their setter, Libero and 6’7” MB after this season. That’s a lot to replace.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:27 AM

WI ends BYUs season. No surprise there. I was just surprised that BYUs block caused problems at times for the Badgers, who are suppose to have so many hitters.

Vball all day today. I think Pitt might knock off MN...who is very good. WKY has a shot at knocking off KY and OR might beat Purdue. I expect FL, WA, NE and TX to get thru.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Watching Pitt vs MN. Tied 1-1. I didn’t see the first set, but in the second, MN is the better passing team. Lots of Out-of-system swings by Pitt. But Pitts good Sr OH - Kayla Lund - is really good and scored a bunch to help Pitt win the second set. Going to at least 4 sets.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:22 PM

Pitt goes down 1-2 and then starts passing better and ties it up 2-2. Hoping Pitt can knock off MN in the 5th.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:26 PM

Announcers said Pitt’s conference room is right next to WKY’s. Due to Covid players can’t go up to each other and talk to other teams. So Pitt left WKY a nice note in their conference room of Congrats for making the Sweet 16 and wishing them well. They are the only two unseeded teams to get thru. Nice sportsmanship. I’m pulling for both Pitt and WKY, but WKY’s mountain is higher against KY.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:54 PM

Pitt completes the upset. First time into the Elite 8. I really likes Pitt’s coach Fisher. People say when Russ Rose retires at Penn St, they will go after Fisher. I’m not sure he will leave Pitt after what he has built. But, Big 10 is such a great volleyball conference, so who knows.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-18-2021 at 04:02 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-18-2021), soccerflyer (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 PM

Washington has played 3 NCAA matches. All went 5 sets, but they have won them all and make it to the a Final 4. I like their chances. Those 5 set wins make you get better under pressure.

It’s also a great story line and Dayton gets pub from it. All matches I’ve watched after our loss to Washington, the announcers have not only talked about our match but in some cases shown video. Love it. Great company to keep - WA, Louisville, and a Pittsburgh.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-19-2021 at 06:40 PM..
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Questions about challenges:

I know we don't use it at Dayton, but do other teams/conferences use it during the regular season?

When a challenge is upheld, have you used up that challenge or do you get it to keep it? I don't think you get to keep it, but that doesn't seem right.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:49 AM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
And remember we outhit and outblocked #6 Washington. This was not some smoke-and-mirrors miracle match where a confluence of oddities put us in a position to win it at 10-10 in the fifth. They were not missing three starters or three of our players have the match stats of their lives. We simply played them straight up pound for pound and almost beat them purely on TALENT.

Sure we dug ourselves a hole but we had a shot to win set 2 and make it 1-1. Its not like UW was wailing on us and then we woke up. We just cleaned up a couple things and won the big points at the end of sets 3 and 4. We lost this match because we didn't serve well -- and we served well all year. It was our strength.

Washington had to do some clawing back vs Louisville and Pitt but eventually everybody is going to have to unless you're maybe the #1 seed. With rally scoring it doesnt take much to up 2-0 or down 2-0 -- especially not at this level where free points on errors are like gold.

My biggest "aha" realization every time we competed in the NCAAs was UD had to typically with with more precision and finesse than the opposition -- usually schools from P5 leagues. They just had bigger more physical players. Taller trees. More heavy hitters. The Fletemier years tried to mitigate that a bit but we couldnt break through. But now we have Moore and Yates and if JPete comes back a third tree up there at the net. And then you have Lexie who's 5-8 but hits like she's 6-2. And maybe we can get Papesh back in form -- Papesh was our #2 hitter last year.

Throw in Collins and others and the bulk of the team returns. There's absolutely no reason to believe we should not have the potential to make a deep NCAA run. I think the goal would be to try and get seeded to take some heat off those first two rounds -- especially Rd2 where we've hit our wall (and to an extent gotten unlucky seeds w/teams - PSU many times).

I dont remember who we're bringing in next year recruit-wise.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Questions about challenges:

I know we don't use it at Dayton, but do other teams/conferences use it during the regular season?

When a challenge is upheld, have you used up that challenge or do you get it to keep it? I don't think you get to keep it, but that doesn't seem right.
Other conferences do use it during the regular season. Started 3-4 years ago and the NCAA has made a couple changes since the first season. I know they added one or two things you can challenge. But there is a limited number of types of things you can challenge - around 6-7 I think without looking them up.

All the P5 conferences use a system and Dayton has played at some of those sites, so we occasionally have used it for regular season matches. But I think it’s fair to say the coaches who use it every match have a slight advantage because they know when to use the challenge card and when to hold it, just from trial and error.

Right now coaches get 3 challenges per match, win or lose the challenge. If it goes to a 5th set, they get one more. So technically a coach could hold the challenges and end up with 4 to use in the 15-point 5th set.

In some sports, if you win a challenge, you don’t use up your challenge and get to pocket to use again. Not with NCAA volleyball. Win or lose, you used one of your 3/4.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:08 AM

We’ve got a good class coming in. 6’5” MB/RS Katie Gale. A really good Libero - Kaminski. She might be a top 100 recruit. An OH that I don’t know a lot about from I think Washington or Oregon - Hawkins. I’d love to know if she got any interest from PAC12 schools?? And I think one of the biggest advantages we have is the freshman setter Miller, enrolled in January and has been working with the team for 3 months. Like Bridget, she’s out of the Kansas City area and she is suppose to be very athletic at the net.

We are loaded next year. Should be ranked all year. I think we have a real shot at ending this year ranked. We will get votes. Like a Chris’s said, we didn’t play out of our rear ends. We played where we play. And we didn’t serve well, which we had been doing. Plus WA’s coach said they had one of their best serving games against us. And after there next match against Louisville he said they didn’t serve near as well as they did against Dayton. Serve and serve receive is so critical when you get in matches at the Top 10 level.

WE. ARE. THERE. In 2010, when were were right there also, we graduated both our MBs, our setter, our 6-rotation OH, our serving Specialist and a DS. 4 starters and two role players that contributed every match. We lost 3 of 5 hitters and the setter. That’s a lot to replace, because they were all post-season award winners and 2 AAs. This year we lose the hitter that took the least amount of swings (Swink) and Bridget, who I hope gets the AA honorable mention recognition. We’ve got a Top 100 recruit coming back from injury (Papesh) and we have two setters already in the team competing to replace Bridget. We are in great position to do unprecedented things this fall. And, most importantly, the team knows it and we don’t graduate all of our leadership. That is huge, because this team has to work very hard in the off-season. We are still the underdog when we play the top P5 teams. This is now JPete and Maura’s team and in my opinion, we are in very good hands. These two will not allow this program to slide back. They will move it forward. Is it August yet?

Also...I agree with Chris...playing the regular season to secure a top 16 seed will be one of our top goals. I’m opening a schedule thread because this will be critical to getting seeded and hosting that first weekend.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-20-2021 at 05:10 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
keats '91 (04-20-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:52 AM

This years Final Four are from 4 different conferences. I’ll have to look at this, but I’m not sure that’s happened for a while with the strength of the PAC12 and B10, it seems like those conferences have powered thru with two teams in recent years.

I think KY and TX are looking like the teams to beat, but I’m pulling for WA.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 AM

It’s been awhile...2014 was the last time four schools from 4 different conferences made the a Final Four.

TX, Stanford, Penn St & BYU. All the other years - 2015 to 2019 - had two B10 schools in the a Final 4.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Becky, your enthusiasm is contagious.
Team next year appears to have everything lining up for a great opportunity. Have to believe the team will embrace it (and have a great off season).
I pray that this whole COVID thing is handled/managed/reduced (whatever) to the point that Frericks is packed come fall.
Mad Props to keats '91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-23-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:12 AM

I need to make a correction to next years freshmen - Kaminski is a 2022 recruit, not next year. I keep forgetting she committed real early and then the ncaa changed recruiting rules, but she was grandfathered in.

But Maura, Anna and Liz all return and did a great job this spring. Washington fans were so complimentary of Maura’s play during the match. They see a lot of good Liberos in the PAC12, so they know what they are talking about. We’ve got rockstars in the back row.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:57 AM
Colonel

How strong was the OH/KY region in volleyball this year? UK is still alive in the tournament and looks like they may be the favorites based on how they have played.

Washington literally had to beat a list of the regions best (Dayton, Louisville, Pitt) and went to 5 sets in every match.

Wright St., Western Kentucky, and Morehead State too. Our region got a lot of teams into the dance and had some some success. Every team won at least one match.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM
Colonel

One of the myths of volleyball was kinda broken this year. I think for a long time, there has been a myth that if you don't play top level opponents, you won't be able or ready to compete against the best in the NCAA tourney.

However, Dayton played a schedule that for the most part, prevented them from competing against teams in the top 100. According to Massey ratings, Dayton played only one team in the top 100 before the tournament got underway. Dayton played currently #31 Wright State. All other teams have dropped below 100. Xavier and VCU were both around 80 before the tournament started but have since dropped to #102 and #103 respectively. And despite seeing very few top level teams, Dayton dispatched of Towson (#34) and went toe-to-toe with Washington (#7).

For a long time there has been the belief we need to be in a different conference to better prepare for the NCAA. I'm not sure you can say that anymore. We played half a conference schedule and still performed very well. You can probably make the argument that was Dayton's best ever performance in the NCAA tournament, only a few points away from the sweet 16 on a neutral court. (The 2010 team was only a few points away from the sweet 16 but had a home court advantage against a team that was probably not as good as Washington in the un-seeded Ohio State. That 2010 Ohio State team did not advance to the Final Four like Washington just did.)

Don't take this the wrong way. I still want the best for UD and still want to see them competing against the best. I hope the other A-10 teams can improve and challenge the Flyers. But if they don't, this program can still prepare for the NCAA tournament.

Last edited by udisit19; 04-21-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 AM

How strong was the OH/KY region in volleyball this year? UK is still alive in the tournament and looks like they may be the favorites based on how they have played.

Washington literally had to beat a list of the regions best (Dayton, Louisville, Pitt) and went to 5 sets in every match.

Wright St., Western Kentucky, and Morehead State too. Our region got a lot of teams into the dance and had some some success. Every team won at least one match.
Great info. Plus tOSU had their best year in a long time and made the dance.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 AM

One of the myths of volleyball was kinda broken this year. I think for a long time, there has been a myth that if you don't play top level opponents, you won't be able or ready to compete against the best in the NCAA tourney.

However, Dayton played a schedule that for the most part, prevented them from competing against teams in the top 100. According to Massey ratings, Dayton played only one team in the top 100 before the tournament got underway. Dayton played currently #31 Wright State. All other teams have dropped below 100. Xavier and VCU were both around 80 before the tournament started but have since dropped to #102 and #103 respectively. And despite seeing very few top level teams, Dayton dispatched of Towson (#34) and went toe-to-toe with Washington (#7).

For a long time there has been the belief we need to be in a different conference to better prepare for the NCAA. I'm not sure you can say that anymore. We played half a conference schedule and still performed very well. You can probably make the argument that was Dayton's best ever performance in the NCAA tournament, only a few points away from the sweet 16 on a neutral court. (The 2010 team was only a few points away from the sweet 16 but had a home court advantage against a team that was probably not as good as Washington in the un-seeded Ohio State. That 2010 Ohio State team did not advance to the Final Four like Washington just did.)

Don't take this the wrong way. I still want the best for UD and still want to see them competing against the best. I hope the other A-10 teams can improve and challenge the Flyers. But if they don't, this program can still prepare for the NCAA tournament.
This has some valid points. I’m inclined to agree WA was probably UDs best Match ever - NCAAs or otherwise. We have more talent than ever before, so that helps. We’ve had years we ran fast offenses because we had short middles and OHs. Now we run a fast offense with tall middles and OHs. And then the staff hit this home run with a top 250 recruit named Lexie Almodovar who has this unbelievably fast arm swing and can terminate balls even tho she’s Only 5’8”.

Talent does rise to the top if you have mental fortitude. You have to be focused every point and play with a sense of urgency. You have to be mentally strong because volleyball is a game of swings and runs. There is momentum swings in every sport, but within one set, there can be multiple swings in volleyball. What other sport can you see a timeout or stop of play for some reason shut down a scoring run? It happens 5-6 times in every volleyball match. You can not take points off mentally in volleyball or you look up and the other team just scored the last 6 points.

I think this team has that mental fortitude. They did not have it at the beginning of the year, but they found it within themselves. I think the 2007 team had it too. They finished like 30-2 and knocked off a ranked team in ILL I believe. They just didn’t have the depth of talent this team and next years team has.

Finally, I know what you are saying, and I don’t take it the wrong way. It’s a great observation. But you have to play teams who are elite if you want to get there. We are now so much more prepared to go for it next year having taken WA to 5 sets. And I think it’s really strongly tied back to mental fortitude. And going back two years ago when we took WA to 5 sets up at Pitt. A lot of our players were on that team. They learned they could play with WA then and an even better WA team this year. I believe that was a big part of our confidence going into this years WA match.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:24 PM

Sorry to see WA lose, but KY and TX have been playing the best. I’m hoping K.y can break thru. I like both coaches, but it would be nice to have some other conference win other than B10, PAC, Big 12. We would also have a shot at scheduling KY next year. And on a personal note, KY coach recruited my niece many moons ago and finished 2nd behind UD in her choice.

In the Elite 8 matches, I was not impressed by WI. I expected to be, but I thought they were just a very good team, but not particularly special. If we had to play them, I thought we could hang with them It surprised me because they have really elite players. Must be their coaching.
jack72 (04-25-2021)