User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Rules: What's a carry?

It's the offseason, so allow me to post this NBA clip for the purpose of talking about rules:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...%7Ctwcon%5Es1_

Back in the day, you had to keep your hand on top of the ball while dribbling. (Which is one reason old clips look so stiff... most of the cool-looking moves people do today would've ended with a whistle before 1970.)

I know that modern interpretations allow you to have your hand on the side of the ball while dribbling, but look at the clip above. Looks to me like Kevin Durant's hand is on the bottom of the ball. What do you think?

Should that have been called a carry (double dribble/travel/illegal) according to NBA rules?
What about according to college rules?

I expect rollo will chime in here, but everyone's opinions are welcome.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
The definition really hasn’t changed-keeping your hand on top of the ball while dribbling. It’s the interpretation that has changed. Way back when I played (we called it palming the ball) you really couldn’t come down more than 4-5 inches off the top of the ball without being called for the violation. I really believe due to online videos showing new style crossover moves officials have greatly relaxed the rule.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
In the UCLA final four game this year, Tyger Campbell got called for a carry, which he and Mick Cronin were upset about. When they showed the replay in slo-mo the announcer (can't remember which one) said he actually carried the ball five times before they actually made the call.

You could literally call a carry on every play just when they walk the ball up the court. And when they do call it the players and coaches act incredulous because it gets called so rarely.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
“Get off my lawn” 😄 (said in jest).

My lived experience allows me to not be subject to such restrictive rules…
Old 06-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW, in the most simple of terms so all can understand, you’re allowed to put you hand under the ball as long as the ball doesn’t come to a stop and you're making a move.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rollo; 06-11-2021 at 05:05 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (06-11-2021), ud2 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Yes

is looks like a carry to me but I'm not an official just a long-time fan. I always thought the pros got more of a break on rules violations than do the student-athletes. After all they are paid more than the referees.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
After all they are paid more than the referees.
Depends on what school you go to
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (06-11-2021), rollo (06-11-2021), wes (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
FWIW, in the most simple of terms so all can understand, you’re allowed to put you hand under the ball as long as the ball doesn’t come to a stop and your making a move.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. How would that be explained in the more complicated, technical terms?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:45 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The call still gets down to each game and the individual refs that are calling that game. Just like balls and strikes. Can we do any more the make the game tougher for the refs? It seems the NCAA keeps trying to.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:25 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Thanks. How would that be explained in the more complicated, technical terms?
I'm not going there. The more I type, the more the armchair refs will nitpick.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:45 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm not going there. The more I type, the more the armchair refs will nitpick.
Translation: "Hell if I know!"
Old 06-11-2021, 08:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
For some of you old timers there was a player who played for Memphis St. from !993-97 by the name of Chris Garner who pushed the limits on carrying the ball. He was a 5'10" pt. guard who would get his hand under the ball while bringing it up court and back then the referees would sometimes call him for carrying the ball! It has definitely been relaxed by referees over the years.

My son was about ten or twelve years old at the time and as a season ticket holder we would bring it to the refs attention whenever we had a home game against Memphis.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
You can download the entire NCAA basketball rule book here for free: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-46...retations.aspx

When you look in the back, "carrying" is not a symbol that the referees are supposed to use. There is just a symbol for "illegal-dribble violation".

The rule book also never mentions carrying as a violation. The closest reference is in Sec 13 Art 4: "The dribble ends when:a) The dribbler catches or carries/palms the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands"

So what is commonly thought of as a carry does not exist as a separate violation in the rule book. It is a "illegal-dribble violation" because the original dribble has ended and the player starts a new dribble. This occurs when the ball "comes to rest" in the hand.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
NBA and rules, an oxymoron.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (06-13-2021)