Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 02:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

CJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud of
Player series, Part 4: Kobe Elvis

From sunny Florida, where the ocean is beautiful and my family is happy, but the daily 93 and humid can go **** up a rope ...

Kobe Elvis, 6-2, 170 pounds, age 20.4 (DOB 3-16-01)
Brampton, Ontario, Canada (Bill Crothers Prep) … Unranked by 247 Composite
Wore #3 for DePaul in 20-21 ...... Entering second year of CBB / first at UD
20.2 minutes pg … 5.2 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.9 TOpg
42.3% FG … 41.9% 3PT … 50.0% FT … 32.0% of FGA were 3s

I’m hoping this kid is our new 3-point sharpshooter. DePaul touted Elvis’ high school shooting percentages when they signed him, and Kobe had an awesome start, hitting 6 of 9 treys in his first four college games, so obviously they had him, um, not shoot many 3s. … In DePaul’s 19-game season, Elvis shot more than twice as many 2s as 3s, despite making the same 42% on both. In the final nine games of the season, he had 49 field-goal attempts — 40 2s and 9 3s — despite shooting 13-of-40 on 2s and 4-of-9 on 3s. I don’t know much about Elvis’ defense, which of course will be a key to him earning playing time. … I know I’m assuming too much based on one abbreviated college season, but putting together the ideas that 1) Elvis wasn’t very efficient on 2-pointers, 2) he barely got to the free-throw line at all (8 FTA in 19 games), 3) he averaged a turnover every 10.7 minutes, and 4) he shot very well from 3, I see this kid more as a court-spacing shooter than as a primary ball-handler. But we’ll see.
VIDEOS
DePaul highlights: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=461556805238420
Dec. 2019 HS highlight and interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmc_7KRQ3o
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CJ#4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (07-26-2021), Clear Prop (07-27-2021), CvilleFlyer (07-27-2021), FLYER5 (07-28-2021), Jeff (07-26-2021), MikeFlyer (07-27-2021), O Doyle Rules (07-27-2021), rollo (07-26-2021), Runnin' Rebel (07-26-2021), San Diego Flyer (07-26-2021), springborofan (07-27-2021), steverino015 (07-27-2021), TommyGola (07-26-2021)
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2021, 03:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Kobe Elvis has a really sweet stroke from the three-range. Also, my review of several videos indicates a nice pull-up jumper, floater, and turn-around. He also appears to have a quick first step, something you would desire in a point guard, but his turnover numbers are a bit concerning. In watching his videos, he reminds me a whole lot of Jordan Sibert.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:26 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I'll preface by saying I've never seen this young man play, nor would I recognize him if he passed me on the street, but I'll venture a guess that like 99% of frosh, he needed to add some muscle to his frame to be able to finish around the rim. Scoochie struggled to finishe at the basket until he was able to add strength to their frame over a couple of offseasons.

Kobe also took very few free throws (4/8 on the season) which tells me that most of his 2 point attempts were either uncontested layups or mid range jumpers. Hopefully added muscle and confidence will make him a stronger player attacking the rim, reduce turnovers and lead to more free throw attempts.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I think this guy and RJ Blakney are the two wildcards for this season. I feel as if Weaver, Amzil, Camara, and Zimi are pretty much known quantities. Rightly or wrongly I’m counting on Holmes as well to have a strong freshman season. The other three FR and Amafule, to me at least, are unknown. Frankly, I’m not counting on much from Brea or Sissoko. While I think Brea’s talent is above Sissoko’s, I think he might get lost in a numbers game—especially if Elvis and Blakney shine.

Admittedly, it’s a gut feel but I think Elvis is going to be really good (and RJ…very excited about RJ!). If these two guys raise their games, I think the A10 championship is attainable. That is not an easy task this year with all the SR talent on both Bona and Richmond.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I think this guy and RJ Blakney are the two wildcards for this season. I feel as if Weaver, Amzil, Camara, and Zimi are pretty much known quantities. Rightly or wrongly I’m counting on Holmes as well to have a strong freshman season. The other three FR and Amafule, to me at least, are unknown. Frankly, I’m not counting on much from Brea or Sissoko. While I think Brea’s talent is above Sissoko’s, I think he might get lost in a numbers game—especially if Elvis and Blakney shine.

Admittedly, it’s a gut feel but I think Elvis is going to be really good (and RJ…very excited about RJ!). If these two guys raise their games, I think the A10 championship is attainable. That is not an easy task this year with all the SR talent on both Bona and Richmond.
I think Blakney is a stud if he stays healthy. I am also very high on Brea. He seems like a perfect mold of an AG. He’s solid with the ball, a good rebounder, became very confident in his shot in the last 8-10 games and seems to know the game very well. He’s another Ryan Mikesell type guy I feel with maybe even a bit higher upside.

Malachi has a motor and he looks very strong physically for his size. He may be the most passionate and vocal PG we’ve had in some time if he can earn the minutes this year.

But what do I know? I thought DD was a horrible PG. Hopefully I’m more correct about these 3 guys.

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 07-31-2021 at 02:54 PM..
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
Thanks again CJ for doing this series. I was already optimistic about what appears to be one of the youngest, longest, and athletic group UD has seen in a while, and your reviews have just added more fuel to my fire. If AG can meld this group into a cohesive unit, this could be a very good season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to O Doyle Rules For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (07-28-2021), fuz_forward (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I'll preface by saying I've never seen this young man play, nor would I recognize him if he passed me on the street, but I'll venture a guess that like 99% of frosh, he needed to add some muscle to his frame to be able to finish around the rim. Scoochie struggled to finishe at the basket until he was able to add strength to their frame over a couple of offseasons.

Kobe also took very few free throws (4/8 on the season) which tells me that most of his 2 point attempts were either uncontested layups or mid range jumpers. Hopefully added muscle and confidence will make him a stronger player attacking the rim, reduce turnovers and lead to more free throw attempts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
He shot 42%. Wonder how many “uncontested layups “ didn’t go in!!!

Really hope he improved this summer. The # 5 scoring guard on the absolutely dead last team in the Big East doesn’t sound all that inspiring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
He shot 42%. Wonder how many “uncontested layups “ didn’t go in!!!

Really hope he improved this summer. The # 5 scoring guard on the absolutely dead last team in the Big East doesn’t sound all that inspiring.
Posted via Mobile Device
We really hope you improved your attitude over the summer but it sounds like you have not put the hard work in to do such.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-29-2021), steverino015 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
We really hope you improved your attitude over the summer but it sounds like you have not put the hard work in to do such.
Save your time. Some people aren't happy unless you're not happy.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 AM
Lieutenant General

Yeah, let’s avoid reality at all costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
The problem is the way you arrive at a player being a ‘wasted scholarship’ is so flawed it definitely would have applied to Obi, CJ, Trey, and dozens of other good/great players yet you never alter your thinking. That is really what avoiding reality looks like
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (07-29-2021), steverino015 (07-29-2021), TA111 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
you are not the one to preach avoiding
reality.... in any way, shape or form
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Brea is as much of a wildcard as Blakney and Elvis in my opinion. He flashed at the end of the year and if he takes a step forward he has the potential to earn a lot of minutes if he can prove to be a great perimeter shooter. There's no shortage of guys on the roster who can get to the rim and create their own shots, but we're short on spot up perimeter shooters in my mind. That role is Brea's for the taking, and if he seizes the opportunity he will get plenty of minutes. Will he do it though? I'm not sure. Wildcard.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Brea is as much of a wildcard as Blakney and Elvis in my opinion. He flashed at the end of the year and if he takes a step forward he has the potential to earn a lot of minutes if he can prove to be a great perimeter shooter. There's no shortage of guys on the roster who can get to the rim and create their own shots, but we're short on spot up perimeter shooters in my mind. That role is Brea's for the taking, and if he seizes the opportunity he will get plenty of minutes. Will he do it though? I'm not sure. Wildcard.
Fair point. I agree the team needs a good/great perimeter shooter. I wasn’t trying to denigrate Brea in my initial post but I can see where it came across that way. I just wasn’t sure if the minutes would be there for Brea but you convinced me.