Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-02-2021, 12:36 AM
1st Lieutenant

CJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud of
Player series, Part 5: Mustapha Amzil

Sorry, had to punt for the second half of vacation. Gearing back up now ...

Mustapha Amzil, 6-10, 220 pounds, age 19.10 (DOB 9-12-01)
Helsinki Basketball Academy (Finland) … #471 HS recruit (247 Composite)
Wore #30 for Dayton in 20-21 ...... Entering second year of CBB / second year at UD
— 29.9 min pg … 9.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.4 bpg, 1.6 TOpg
49.6% FG … 38.2% 3PT … 76.5% FT … 49.6% of his FGA were 3s

Our best returning player. Multi-skilled on offense from Day 1 (3-pointers, floaters, post-ups, passing, etc.). Among 21-22 Flyers, only Kobe Elvis shot better from 3 last year than Amzil’s 38.2%, and Amzil shot 3s at nearly double the volume of any other current Flyer (3.6 per game). He also seemed to get better defensively as the year went on — not surprising since he only had a few practices in Grant’s system before being thrown into the fire. It’s a toss-up whether Amzil or Chris Wright had UD’s best true freshman season in the past 20 years.
I don’t know exactly what to expect from Amzil this year. Could he blow up and take over, to the point that going pro is a real option? Or is he a Chris Johnson-type, who will remain a complimentary second option year after year, filling whatever role is needed? After scoring a ridiculous 22 and 15 in his first two college games, Amzil settled into a steady third-man role the rest of the season, scoring 9-12 points over and over again. After those first two games, he only had double-digit field-goal attempts twice (and even then, just barely, in games where he played 38 and 42 minutes). In short, he didn’t look to be “the guy.” I don’t think anyone outside of practice knows whether this team will have somebody be “the guy,” but I think if they told Amzil to do it, at least in spots, he could. Given that half of his shots last year were 3s, and he hit 38%, if he can develop a consistent shot-fake and drive to go with it, watch out, because his passing is already good.
VIDEOS
No great Amzil-only videos from last year, but here are two game-summary highlights in which he features …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKztEhk3UfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQC3dJu0kx4
Summer 2019 (Finland): https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8552831...f6130e74754b0e
17 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CJ#4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (08-02-2021), Clear Prop (08-03-2021), CvilleFlyer (08-02-2021), frisco flyer (08-02-2021), fuz_forward (08-02-2021), Glen Clark (08-02-2021), GoFlyer (08-02-2021), Hyde Park Flyer (08-02-2021), jack72 (08-02-2021), Jeff (08-02-2021), MikeFlyer (08-02-2021), Ready Action (08-02-2021), Runnin' Rebel (08-02-2021), San Diego Flyer (08-02-2021), springborofan (08-02-2021), steverino015 (08-02-2021), The Fly (08-02-2021)
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
The U18 European championship game between Finland and Latvia Amzil showed a variety of skills. Granted there is tougher competition now but we sure could use 10 and 8 from him in a starting role this season. I believe Camara and Holmes will be the leading scorers with both in high double digits in the 15 to 20 range. Rebounding will be key to a successful season. Amzil is one of about 3 or 4 that we just don't know what they are going to bring to the table this season! Zimi, Elijah, Koby and R.J. Blakney are the others.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:57 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I believe will come from this whole roster is ENERGY. There is ample reason for all of them to play hard and improve to get minutes. We are sooo deep. So much so that one or two injuries won't derail the train as it has in some prior seasons.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 06:25 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
The U18 European championship game between Finland and Latvia Amzil showed a variety of skills. Granted there is tougher competition now but we sure could use 10 and 8 from him in a starting role this season. I believe Camara and Holmes will be the leading scorers with both in high double digits in the 15 to 20 range. Rebounding will be key to a successful season. Amzil is one of about 3 or 4 that we just don't know what they are going to bring to the table this season! Zimi, Elijah, Koby and R.J. Blakney are the others.
I think we have a much higher understanding of what Amzil is going to bring than just about anyone else. He was unusually consistent in his production for a Freshman.

He averaged 9.9 ppg. In his 19 games, he scored between 6-14 points in 14 of those games. He scored more than 14 in 2 games (oddly, his first two). He scored less than 6 in only 3 games (also oddly, 2 of those 3 games were at VCU).

He averaged 5.6 rebounds but got 3 or less rebounds in only 5 of 19 games.

Pretty impressive for consistency for a Freshman that didn’t even start the season with the team.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (08-03-2021), Flyer 86 (08-03-2021), longtimefan (08-02-2021), steverino015 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I am as optimistic as anyone for Amzil's development. But let's remember his struggles against physical defenders. I don't see him as focal point of offense, but a tremendous role players. An awesome Robin to someone else's Batman. Very skilled and versatile. But dependent on the offense and other's creating... like 99% of all college basketball players. But VERY good at his role...

Thing I am most interested to watch for Amzil is his communication and leadership roles. How does he fit? Is he adaptable to game flow and team mates? Some teams filled with this personality type never gain 'IT'. Everyone's role is so in flux that the optimal roles are never set/fixed. Others flourish to 'sum greater than the whole'. And Amzil is one of those key pieces.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:14 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
OK, I'll admit, I was on the Amzil bandwagon.... muy pronto.

Size, good handle, soft around the rim. Grabs some boards (but could do better). Agree he needs to be more aggressive with physical players. He is a unique collection of skills that every team would like. He's one of those guys that doesn't look dominating, and then you realize he has 20 points and 10 boards, with 5 assists. Started weak on D, but improved.....better his D is, the more time on the court.

I would love to hear opposing coaches take on him. Would provide us all real insight.

Future is bright for him.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (08-02-2021), springborofan (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,107 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I think part of the reason he scored his two highest point totals in his first two games was that he wasn’t scouted (and likely discounted since he hadn’t been a Flyer very long). Once other coaches realized what he could do, he got much more defensive attention and hence few shot opportunities. But make no mistake- MA could easily become a focal point of this year’s offense- he’s that good in my opinion. Had AG asked him last year to take the offense load- he could have. This is a special player; I called it with Obi during his red shirt year and I call it again with MA.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-03-2021), fuz_forward (08-03-2021), GoFlyer (08-03-2021), Jeff (08-03-2021), springborofan (08-03-2021)