User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM
General

Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,058 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
The Cobra

Another Coby
Using my time travel abilities, aka Google search - I found this snippet on a former Flyer sharpshooter named Coby:

https://theflyerreel.wordpress.com/2...r-brotherhood/

Coby Turner played for Oliver Purnell.
He was nicknamed the Cobra, and graduated in 1999. He was a crowd favorite with the students, who would hiss whenever he scored. Though he peaked at 13 PPG his junior year, he was one of the unsung heroes who helped bring the Flyers back from oblivion.

FLYER5 (01-24-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-24-2024), The Gem (01-25-2024), Tony T 71 (01-25-2024), UncleFester (01-24-2024)
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2024, 05:15 PM
General

Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,144 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Coby lived on the opposite end of the floor from me freshman year. From what I remember he was pretty quiet and unassuming. Good player that did a bit of everything IIRC. I wonder what he is up to these days.

edit:

google search tells me he is a "girl dad" leaving in Virginia

https://www.facebook.com/coby.turner.566/

Though I have kids that by looks are likely roughly the same age as his daughters, it always makes me feel old to see kids pictures like that

Last edited by Medford; 01-24-2024 at 05:20 PM..
Old 01-24-2024, 05:18 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,670 Times in 5,127 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Those were days where we were scraping our way out of the basement that O'Brien had dug for us. I remember Coby Turner as a prolific scorer and a burly forward who had a sweet 10-15 foot jump shot from either baseline. It was sort of his signature shot. He carried the team with scoring back in those lean years, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,664 Times in 3,046 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
He hit 51.7% from three point land his junior year, which I believe is still the Flyer record for one season. Dan Christie hit 50% his senior year. Coby was the second leading scorer (13.3) to Ryan Perryman that season. That was the season we came back from the dead and made the second round of the NIT. That was a big deal considering where we had been the previous 7 or 8 seasons. We came within a win or two from making the NCAA. Tony Stanley was a freshman, and Mark Ashman and Edwin Young were sophomores. They led us to the NCAA in 1999-2000, aided by the win over Kentucky.

Last edited by longtimefan; 01-24-2024 at 05:36 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-24-2024), The Gem (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:34 PM

Thanked 2,215 Times in 978 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I played some pick-up games with Coby in the mid 2000s. He was playing in Europe at the time and was back in Dayton during a break. I once had perfect position to take a charge but thought better of it and bailed out. Needless to say, his team won.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:42 PM
General

Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,144 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
That sounds like a wise "Business decision" MFF. Coby was a big strong dude, no need to take a charge in a pick up game.

my google search brought back a memory.

Remember Cobra's snake pit?

Need to bring that back for Brea and Elvis
Old 01-24-2024, 07:10 PM

Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,767 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
I played some pick-up games with Coby in the mid 2000s. He was playing in Europe at the time and was back in Dayton during a break. I once had perfect position to take a charge but thought better of it and bailed out. Needless to say, his team won.
I blocked a shot on Wes Coffee once (and only once). This was after he returned from Europe. His shot was weak and am 8-9 shorter than him. He was not happy (understatement) and he proceeded to pummel me the rest of the game. The only time in my life, I was in fear on a basketball court.

Later, we got along just fine.

Safety tip Flyer fans. Don’t try to upstage a Flyer player.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Very wise move... not sure what would have been worse. The physical pain of the contact or the recognition that it was for nothing when your own teammates tell you that you can't call a charge in a pickup game.

Probably the best you could have hoped for was a violation of the "No Blood; No Foul" rule but even that is a little murky when called against an offensive player. And definitely not in your overall best interest to test the rule application.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,516 Times in 814 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
In the early 90’s, I played with Velvet for one game at an open gym. The only thing I can recall was being in complete awe the entire time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2024, 11:46 PM
General

Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,414 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Thought this was about Dave Parker!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-25-2024), ud2 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 08:21 AM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I ran into Dave Parker at a gym in Montgomery (North of Cincinnati) in the late 90’s. He was huge and gracious. That’s all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2024, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
Me and my buddy were big Coby fans. We called one of his signature shots a "running Coby"
Still use it today. Elvis has a similar shot at times
Old 01-25-2024, 02:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,042 Times in 521 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a buddy who played in a pickup game against Antawn Jamison and tried to take a charge. There is an awesome video of Jamison just jumping over him and dunking, and then saying "who tries to take a charge in pickup game, you f***'n p***y?"
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 02:40 PM
Brigadier General

That’s a mic drop story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2024, 09:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

FORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of light
I remember Coby Turner. My recollection of him was a somewhat solid sized forward who shot well from 3, and that was where he spent a lot of his offensive time.